Want to reformat Crusial M4 + Fresh W7

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I want to reformat my Crusial M4. I lost my fast boot-up time, went from 20 sec. to over a minute (a result of messing with Giygabyte's "EZ Setup" program. Aso, I've had my build for about 6months and after installing/uninstalling dozens of programs, games, and applications, things are starting to feel slow and corrupted. It got worse when my Norten AntiVirus ran out. I forgot to download a free replacement and I started getting adware/viruses-I get pop-ups on the left-lower corner saying things like "click here to improve pc performance". So I tried downloading Malwarebytes and ironically, I think I cliked on a bad link I and ended up downloading like 4 random programs which I uninstalled right away, but I think one of the programs remained because Malwarebytes keeps blocking a "Trojan.0Acess" and I recognize the program: "C:\$Recycle.Bin\[then a bunch of numbers follow] (Yes the program's name had "Recycle Bin" in it). Not only this, but I suddenly started getting "Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Winsdows is not genuine". Issue after issue...so if you guys can help I have some questions:

1. After running Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, and CCleaner-is it safe to reformat my ssd or do I have to something else?

2. At first I didn't undestant what made ssd technology work. Gigabyte's "EZ Setup" supposedly installs all this for you: Smart Response, rapid Start, and Smart Connect. On another post someone told me I did not need to mess with all that because my whole OS in on the SSD-Is this true or do I still need to install one of the three programs (in case I don't want to use Gigabyte's software).

Thank you ahead of time.

You are safe after formatting your SSD as long is you do a full format and not a quick format. I am not sure what Gigabyte's EZ Setup does. I just skipped it when I built mine. When I did it I only had the SSD installed so I was sure it went to the right drive.

Sorry but that's incorrect. You should never full format a SSD, just quick format it. A full format adds unnecessary writes to a SSD. Since full formatting writes to all of the cells it would also slightly decrease read/write performance. Not by a lot but still a decrease.

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012

Is secure erase is the actual name of the program?

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012

And this is a different process vs wiping a hdd with dban or something? Because I do have a program called WipeDrive that I used to erase some old HDDs. ALso, will a secure erase work on my hdd, I might as well do it too.

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012

Cool thanks brotha! So what can I do about my hdd then-I want to totally erase it as well and do a fresh backup/reinstalls, any similar programs for that or should I not worry?