Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Want to reformat Crusial M4 + Fresh W7

Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2013 1:09:20 AM

I want to reformat my Crusial M4. I lost my fast boot-up time, went from 20 sec. to over a minute (a result of messing with Giygabyte's "EZ Setup" program. Aso, I've had my build for about 6months and after installing/uninstalling dozens of programs, games, and applications, things are starting to feel slow and corrupted. It got worse when my Norten AntiVirus ran out. I forgot to download a free replacement and I started getting adware/viruses-I get pop-ups on the left-lower corner saying things like "click here to improve pc performance". So I tried downloading Malwarebytes and ironically, I think I cliked on a bad link I and ended up downloading like 4 random programs which I uninstalled right away, but I think one of the programs remained because Malwarebytes keeps blocking a "Trojan.0Acess" and I recognize the program: "C:\$Recycle.Bin\[then a bunch of numbers follow] (Yes the program's name had "Recycle Bin" in it). Not only this, but I suddenly started getting "Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Winsdows is not genuine". Issue after issue...so if you guys can help I have some questions:

1. After running Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, and CCleaner-is it safe to reformat my ssd or do I have to something else?

2. At first I didn't undestant what made ssd technology work. Gigabyte's "EZ Setup" supposedly installs all this for you: Smart Response, rapid Start, and Smart Connect. On another post someone told me I did not need to mess with all that because my whole OS in on the SSD-Is this true or do I still need to install one of the three programs (in case I don't want to use Gigabyte's software).

Thank you ahead of time.

More about : reformat crusial fresh

a b G Storage
January 21, 2013 1:27:01 AM

You are safe after formatting your SSD as long is you do a full format and not a quick format. I am not sure what Gigabyte's EZ Setup does. I just skipped it when I built mine. When I did it I only had the SSD installed so I was sure it went to the right drive.
m
l
a c 530 G Storage
January 21, 2013 1:39:29 AM

jnkweaver said:
You are safe after formatting your SSD as long is you do a full format and not a quick format.

Sorry but that's incorrect. You should never full format a SSD, just quick format it. A full format adds unnecessary writes to a SSD. Since full formatting writes to all of the cells it would also slightly decrease read/write performance. Not by a lot but still a decrease.

m
l
a b G Storage
January 21, 2013 1:41:31 AM

Yes but he is concerned about a virus/malware. The only way to be sure is a full format.
m
l
a c 530 G Storage
January 21, 2013 1:54:26 AM

A Secure Erase would be better. That way in addition to wiping the drive it would also restore Read/Write performance.
m
l
a c 155 G Storage
January 21, 2013 1:57:30 AM

If you are worried, use a secure erase(from a linux live CD).

quick format is MORE then good enough for 99% of cases.

SSD's will quickly reclaim those old blocks and make them empty anyway(Background Garbage Collection).

EDIT. Ohh beat to it.
m
l
January 21, 2013 1:57:39 AM

Dereck47 said:
A Secure Erase would be better. That way in addition to wiping the drive it would also restore Read/Write performance.

Is secure erase is the actual name of the program?
m
l

Best solution

a c 530 G Storage
January 21, 2013 2:03:27 AM
a c 530 G Storage
January 21, 2013 2:04:49 AM

Sorry, that link is for Corsair SSDs but it should work for Crucial as well.
m
l
January 21, 2013 2:13:29 AM

Dereck47 said:
Sorry, that link is for Corsair SSDs but it should work for Crucial as well.

And this is a different process vs wiping a hdd with dban or something? Because I do have a program called WipeDrive that I used to erase some old HDDs. ALso, will a secure erase work on my hdd, I might as well do it too.
m
l
a c 530 G Storage
January 21, 2013 2:25:40 AM

Yes, it's a different process. Secure Erase only works on SSDs.
m
l
January 21, 2013 2:37:03 AM

Dereck47 said:
Yes, it's a different process. Secure Erase only works on SSDs.

Cool thanks brotha! So what can I do about my hdd then-I want to totally erase it as well and do a fresh backup/reinstalls, any similar programs for that or should I not worry?
m
l
a c 530 G Storage
January 21, 2013 2:38:56 AM

You don't need any special software, just a regular full format will be good enough for your HDD.
m
l
January 21, 2013 3:27:18 AM

By the way, I found my "C:\$Recycle.Bin\" Virus-It's a trojan called Zero Acess. I'll remove that and then reformat my drives. Thanks for your help.
m
l
January 21, 2013 1:48:14 PM

Best answer selected by 123364.
m
l
!