Two routers in Series

bjross

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I have two routers in series. The first handles the internet connection to cable. I have an ethernet cable running from its LAN port to the internet port on my second router. My computers use the LAN ports on the second router. The second router has parental control in it. However after about a day I have to reboot the second router because it starts to fail to process passwords? Any ideas?

Solution
Sometimes Routers have a problem with storing too much information or getting too hot. One solution is to have the router do a scheduled reboot each day. This will clear the cache and keep it working for you.

If you find that you are having furhter problems it could likely be a defective router.

One thing i would suggest, is making sure both routers are on different networks (ie 192.168.1.* and 192.168.2.*) this will help some traffic and routing problems.

Another thing you can try hacked firmware for your device (the only one i have used is DD-WRT)

lastly, if they are the same router, then save the configs on each and swap them around to see if the issue persists.

Mystroth

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Sometimes Routers have a problem with storing too much information or getting too hot. One solution is to have the router do a scheduled reboot each day. This will clear the cache and keep it working for you.

If you find that you are having furhter problems it could likely be a defective router.

One thing i would suggest, is making sure both routers are on different networks (ie 192.168.1.* and 192.168.2.*) this will help some traffic and routing problems.

Another thing you can try hacked firmware for your device (the only one i have used is DD-WRT)

lastly, if they are the same router, then save the configs on each and swap them around to see if the issue persists.

Solution

bjross

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Greetings,

What a great answer. Makes so much sense. I have put a timer in to reboot about 2am. I am also trying to reduce the amount of traffic on this router (Linksys WRT310N). Unfortunately the router is also out of warranty. I will try and increase its coolling too. Both routers are on different networks too. Unfortunately they are both different routers. Appreciated your answers.