Gamer PC needs help!

G

Hello all.

Iam about to build a new PC, but i would like to get some advices from the pros in here, since iam realy a newbie at this! Ive read alot on forums, but yea that realy dosnt cut it against ppl who have build PC's their whole life ;P

Iam going to use the computer for gaming, mainly world of warcraft, BUT i allso wanna play new games that hits the market in the future!

So here is the spec ive thought about going for!

Mobo = ASUS P6X58D-E
GFX = 2x ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 (1 GB)
CPU = Intel Core i7 950
RAM = Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ (3x2) XMS3, CL7, 1.65v
SSD = WD SiliconEdge Blue SSC-D0064SC-2100 64 GB - for windows 7
HDD = Western Digital 150 GB VelociRaptor 10.000 RPM - for my games
PSU = Corsair CMPSU-750TXEU
Case = AeroCool S9 Pro 40Cm Fan Side Panel Black (Should be nice to cool down the PC? ;P But i bet its making alot of noise?)
Another case option would be, if the other one is making too much noise etc. = ANTEC THREE HUNDRED GAMING

THO i wont get both GFX cards at once, iam buying em later 1 by 1 over some months proberly. burrowing my bros old nvidea 260gtx card for now, and i will allso install the SSD disk at a later point!

So do u guys think that these parts will run good together for my purpose? Have in mind that this computer will ONLY be used for gaming, wont install any crap on it or download anything to it. Its just gotta run as smooth as posible! I will use my laptop for programs and downloads!

Allso i dont plan on overclocking the computer, BUT i might overclock it abit if u guys advice me to do so ;P ive read most ppl say that if u buy a i7 its a MUST to OC it..

Hope to get some help on this matter ;D

Best regards Casper

PS. IF anyone have some bad experience with any parts! Plz lemme know.

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
150 gb hard drive is too small. You should get a 320 gb at the minimum, but for $100 you can buy a 1 TB drive with a 64mb cache @ 7200 rpm. This will perform close to the performance of the HDD you have listed, and will hold a lot more games.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
If you're going to get an SSD and a traditional hard disk, go for a 500GB to 1 TB storage drive, and spend the money from ditching the velociraptor on a larger SSD.

If you can afford a little more overall, a 120 GB Agility 2 and a 500 GB Spinpoint F3 are a good solution. Moving up to 1 TB is $20 more. The 60 and 90 GB Agility 2 drives are also good value.

I found this review of that AeroCool case...unfortunately it makes no mention of noise, but I would expect it to be relatively quiet, as it only spins at 400 rpm. The Antec 300 is frequently recommended, many people are very satisfied with it.

Everything else looks pretty good.

The Gigabyte UD3R is a little cheaper than the ASUS mobo you picked out, and it does 16x/16x, which isn't a huge difference over 8x/8x, but it seems foolish to get an 8x/8x socket 1366 mobo if you're planning on SLI early on.

FYI peeps dun listen to me cos i always insist on either matching or exceeding their initial thought up budgets :p That said common sense never goes out of style so just in case u game and dun do any render/encode/etc

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

Also recommended reading: Moore's Law and rate hardware depreciates over time @@

Also
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

for all we know u have a current 1280 x 1024 17-19" hehe

AlExAkE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Totally agree with fencer55! Get 1TB with 64MB cache for like 70$ or less. For SSD make no mistake, but go for OCZ Vertex 2 (I got 2 of those 60GB on RAID0) could not be more happy than that. Those are top notch all over the web reviews. PSU u want 750W might be too low for all those GPUS and other hot hardware. I just got 1200W Antec, its fantastic. But u can easily settle for 1000W for ~ 150$. I paid 220$ for my 1200W few days ago.

the case u want with the 400mm fan is pretty good and quiet. Only 12dBA, which is ******* amazing. And the amount of air is moving uR PC will stay cool as *not hell* ice + extremely quiet.

Ram I would go for 9GB because u will have enough headroom leftover. 6GB should be probably enough for gaming only 4 you tho. I do multimedia and 3d rendering Maya and Photoshop, but u may not need that much. So that's pretty much what I would change. Good luck and let us know what happen :)