Motherboard fried?

TheGrayF0x

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Ok, so i recently built a new computer and everything WAS working great. However, while playing Shogun Total War 2 my monitor lost signal. I restarted the computer, and it booted to the motherboard screen reached the loading operating system screen then monitor lost signal again. I then went to restart the computer yet again, and the power-button would not turn the computer off, so i had to turn it off via the power-supply. Turned it back on and the fans went to full speed and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WORKED.

I TRIED:
1. Checking connections and making sure things were not loose. (Nothing was)
2. Took out ram and nothing beeped. (I took this to be a bad sign)
3. Unplugged the power-supply waited 1hr and tried again (nothing)
4. Checked to see if anything was hot (everything was cool to the touch, little to no heat detected)

SO my question is, do you believe my motherboard fried or could it be something else, all advice is welcome. Thank you in advance Comrades.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
You can try the power supply, but power supply failures usually result in a dead computer, not a dead screen.

Are you using a discrete graphics cards or the onboard graphics? If onboard, your northbridge might be faulty. I know that the heatsinks on some motherboards are pretty crappy. It may not have felt hot afterwards, but it could have been very hot while you were playing. You could try a discrete card, but if the northbridge is bad, the motherboard is probably shot.

If you are using a discrete graphics card, maybe that card is faulty. Try switching to on-board graphics or a different card.

If that's not an option, I would try to RMA the motherboard, get it fixed/replaced (or return it if you still have the option).