Sign in with
Your question

Screwed by Seagate? Join the class..

Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2013 9:02:56 AM

Tried to buy a ST2000DM00 read the feedback and found out that Seagate sells 2 completely different drives number platters, heads a major and a major perf hit. Contacted amazon which drive is this? Sorry we can't/won't tell which one are selling, buy it figure it out yourself, and if we screwed you return it. I have another idea..

GIVE DIFFERENT PRODUCTS DIFFERENT MODEL NUMBERS DOUCHE BAGS!

So if seagate has EVER screwed you come on who haven't they done at least once, contact these guys and ask to be added to the Seagate/Amazon class action..

Green & Noblin, P.C.
4500 E Pacific Coast Hwy, Floor 4
Long Beach, California 90804
Telephone: (562) 391-2487

gn@classcounsel.com

background on seagate unethical practices
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Bar...
a c 377 G Storage
January 21, 2013 11:41:44 AM

Unfortunately Seagate has done nothing illegal. Vote with your wallet and just don't buy seagate drives.
January 21, 2013 12:22:58 PM

Companies are libel for treble damages under the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, some relevant practices that Amazon/Seagate are engaging in..

(7) represents that goods or services are of a particular standard, quality, or grade or that goods are a particular style or model, if they are of another by false or misleading representation of fact;
(11) makes false or misleading statements of fact
(12) engages in any other conduct which similarly creates a likelihood of confusion or misunderstanding.
Related resources
a c 377 G Storage
January 21, 2013 2:06:24 PM

A Ford F-150 is a Ford F-150 is a Ford F-150. There is a new model every year, yet it's called the same. Is this illegal? Technology gets better and requires fewer platters. This doesn't necessarily mean they should rename the model.

I completely understand that from a performance standpoint, it can make a big difference. To the average user, they may just want to replace the current model with the same, but newer model they know will work.

I agree, they should proably list the drives seperately if possible, but I don't agree there is a basis for a law suit.
January 21, 2013 2:15:50 PM

If you ask is the ford a v6 or v8 they say I dunno can't tell you, buy it and figure it out yourself, really? ok just give me the vin I can figure it out from that, sorry vins are only available after you've paid waited for shipping then the clock starts on you 30 days to decide if you been screwed, sound good?
a c 377 G Storage
January 21, 2013 2:29:02 PM

They make V6's and V8's every year and still don't change the model name, nor do they change named based on number of cylinders (think disk platters). Anyhow I stated my points and reasons. Take them or leave them. In any case, I'm done with this topic.

Have a good day sir.
January 21, 2013 2:35:26 PM

Yep suing Amazon, can't happen, line is to long at the court house..

Death by 1000 Lawsuits: Amazon Sued Again.. 18 separate lawsuits, including eight filed in September alone...

Amazon.com Settles Lawsuit For Violating Users' Privacy, consumer fraud, consumer protection, ... Last week, Amazon.com settled a class action lawsuit..
And what else are they under fire for??

1 Anti-competitive practices
1.1 One-click patent
1.2 Canadian site
1.3 BookSurge
1.4 Direct selling
1.5 Japan

2 Differential pricing
3 Collection of sales tax
3.1 Tax avoidance in the UK
4 Product availability
5 Kindle content removal
6 Amazon reviews
7 Sale of Wikipedia's material as books
8 Nazi T-shirts
9 Pedophile guide
10 WikiLeaks hosting
11 Treatment of workers
11.1 Warehouse conditions
12 Texas actress lawsuit
13 Opposition to trade unions
14 E-book pricing
15 Trademark infringement
a c 303 G Storage
January 22, 2013 12:07:57 AM

Seagate's documentation is confusing. I think their marketing people are just as confused as the rest of us.

If you examine Seagate's datasheet (November 2011), it states that the Max Sustained Data Rate, OD Read for the ST2000DM001 is 210MB/s. This is only achievable by the 2-platter version.

Data Sheet, The Power of One, Barracuda:
http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/docs/pdf/en-GB...

Page 17 of the product manual refers to "3-disk (3TB, 2TB models)" and "2-disk (2TB, 1.5TB models)", so Seagate do acknowledge that two versions exist.

Product Manual Barracuda Gen 14 Rev. G (October 2012):
http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/docs/m...

I think Seagate's problems started with their new model numbering system. Google finds the following document (the title incorporates an unfortunate choice of words):

ST-Model Number Cheat Sheet - Seagate:
http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/docs/pdf/marke...

Notice that the model number tells us nothing about the drive's geometry. This contrasts with the old system which indicated the number of platters in the second-to-last numeric character. For example, the ST3750640AS has 4 platters.

BTW, WD drives also have differences in the number of platters within the same model and they also occasionally fall short of their stated specifications.
!