Sign in with
Your question

Moving Windows 7 to a new SSD

Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2013 10:03:04 AM

So I am moving windows from my HDD to a new SSD. I have a windows 7 key but I dont have the installation disk. Any idea how I can still do this without having to buy a new copy?
Also I am planning on setting the old HDD as my slave drive and am wondering if I can do this with windows 7 still on it (And therefore on both disks) or if it will need to be uninstalled.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

More about : moving windows ssd

January 21, 2013 10:31:18 AM

samsung ssd have a built in software that would let your migrate your os from hdd to ssd :)  , no need to buy a windows 7 key :) 
January 21, 2013 10:33:38 AM

Mines not samsung im afraid. Also I already have a key I just need an installation disk.
Related resources
January 21, 2013 10:42:50 AM

i have a 120 gb ssd, got my windows 7 installed to it fully patch and 3 games installed to it ( league of legends, far cry 3, torchlight 2 ) i took 35 gb of spaces

P.S no ms office installed
January 21, 2013 10:47:06 AM

Cool thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 21, 2013 11:38:46 AM

numpteyman said:
Thank you.
Do you know how much space windows normally takes up as my SSD is only 124GB, and I would like a little space for a couple of games.

As nondy said, you'll be fine.
Just make sure you disable hibernation (it takes 6-7GB of space on system drive) if you don't plan on using it by running command prompt as admin and typing the following:
Quote:
powercfg /h off

Also, if you have 8GB of RAM or more you can reduce the size of pagefile to 1GB (it usually is the same size as your total RAM - big waste of space) since, in that case, it's never used by anything other than Windows itself.
You can do that by clicking 'Advanced system settings' in System (Computer) properties window, then clicking on the first settings button (within performance section), then switch to advanced, click change, untick 'automatically manage paging file', selecting C:, custom size and finally type in 1024 and click 'Set'. Confirm it by clicking OK in every box you opened to get there, if done right, you'll get prompted to restart the PC which you should do for changes to take effect.
January 21, 2013 12:09:11 PM

You guys have been a great help thank you. I would like to select a best answer but for some reason i dont seem to have the option. Do you know why?
!