Using a 256GB 840 pro for OS and cache

phL

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Hi folks!
This is concerning me for about some weeks. I just purchased a new Samsung 840 pro 256GB. I still cant decide wether to use it for my OS / Programs and SRT my Spinpoint f3 Raid 0 or buy another 840 pro 64Gb for a seperate cache..

Does anyone have thoughts on that one?

Solution
I'm saying ideally, you'd want a dedicated SSD for SRT since it would have higher write counts than the one for your OS/Programs. But I guess that might just be me that would prefer to keep the heavy writes away from my OS drive(if it were an SSD)
Nowadays, I think every PC should include an SSD period. They’re waaaaaaaaay faster and they draw less energy, but unfortunately they do cost a significant amount more than a traditional hard drive.

Those who have some extra budget laying around, I’d definitely suggest going with a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro or 256GB Samsung 840 Pro in combination with a 1TB Seagate Barracuda. This will allow for plenty of hard drive space for storage while OS and application files may be placed on the SSD for that extra top notch performance.

phL

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
well the thing is that i hate splitting up my programs / games etc. Everthing has to be tidy, neat and well structured... I'm trying to find an all-in-one solution. I wanna have more performance for my programs and gams, aswell as for my OS

Why wouldn't it be ideal? Does anyone experienced a downside using a SSD for os/programs and cache?

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I'm saying ideally, you'd want a dedicated SSD for SRT since it would have higher write counts than the one for your OS/Programs. But I guess that might just be me that would prefer to keep the heavy writes away from my OS drive(if it were an SSD)

Solution

phL

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

I guess i go with your setup and cache my f3 Hdd Raid 0 with a seperate 64GB SSD. Thanks!

phL

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
well i just found out that there is no 64GB version of my Samsung 840pro.
So my last question: is it a bad idea to use a different manufacturer for my caching ssd?

Nope. It'll be fine. Do have a question tho - 256GB is plenty for OS, programs, and games. The only thing you'd need to leave on the raid are docs and music.

Docs are going to open the same speed whether on cached SSD or 5400rpm green drive. Same goes for music and watching movies.

Simplest thing is the "normal" way - OS/programs/games on SSD, docs and media on HDDs. That is of course unless you're doing video editing or the like. People who do that don't use a cache, they have a dedicated "scratch" SSD then write the end product to a HDD.

phL

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
well i thought i'd put my Os and programs on the ssd (including the whole Adobe Suite). So I'd have enough space left for the "global performance cache" (adobe). I'd then put my Games / Files / etc on my Raid 0 to save storage on the SSD.

So a SSD cache for the Raid0 wouldnt even give me a performance boost? Not even for my most played games?

Precisely.