SSD for Video Editing?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Video Editing
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2013 11:20:18 AM

Hey everyone I have a quick question, to start off I am a PC gamer, I play all of the latest games, bo2, Minecraft, far cry 3, etc. I am starting to do some recording and editing/uploading to youtube with adobe premiere pro, I want something that will make my PC faster but also allow me to record with fraps better (I record on the same hard drive I'm playing as, I have 1TB HDD).

I am debating whether I should go for a core i7 3770k with hyper 212 evo cooler, buying Kingdton Hyper X 240gb, of just buying an extra 1TB HDD. I want to be able to record better so a dedicated HDD will be better but if the SSD would make a significant speed difference I will go for the SSD. Would the SSD make exporting videos faster? I will have windows 7 on the SSD and a 1TB for storage such as games and videos. Am I suppose to export the videos to th SSD or the 1TB HDD, I head that it is bad because of it writing to the SSD and that wears it down or something.

More about : ssd video editing

January 21, 2013 11:55:46 PM

I am sorry for sort of bunping this but I have another question, will exporting worn out an SSD?
m
l
January 23, 2013 8:15:37 AM

exporting won't wear out an SSD. it will give better performance on video editing overall. bear in mind that you will want a large one (256gb + if you are looking at OS + video editing software + bits and pieces) so it will be quite pricey, but if you are looking to do it a little bit cheaper, go grab yourself a hybrid drive (HDD with embedded Msata cache). the seagate momentus XT is a great example of that. also, when recording from fraps, you should be recording on a different drive for best performance (as you obviously know already!)
m
l
!