RAID HDD for Standalone PC

zarafan

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hi, im new here and new on most HDD knowledge.

i Just bought the WD RE4-GP 2TB in discount, ( since i leak of high storage capacity), for my files, my games (too many actually), saving my projects from adobe, ond install any other needs (office and stuffs). I bought it for standalone use, not for RAID, but i didnt know this, till later after the purchase.

Some ppl tell me, that im ok with it, others give me a lot of fears about what i bought and how i plan to use it.

So now i want professional opinions (for a noob understand) about how good or bad is going to be my PC now, and if there is a way to avoid any problem doing some setting fixes.

My PC is:

Core i7 920 @3.3Ghz
MB: Gigabyte GEX58-UD3R v1
12GB DDR3 1333
2SSD+1HDD: (vertex 2 60GB, Agility 3 120GB, and WD RE4GB 2TB)
AMD HD 7950

The RE4-GP drives have Error Recovery Control (ERC) timeout limits for read and write. This ensures that they don't drop out of a RAID if they struggle for too long with a bad sector, but this may not be the best setting for a desktop environment. However, that's a matter of opinion. WD calls this feature "Time Limited Error Recovery" (TLER) and provides a utility (WDTLER) to either disable it or adjust the timeout values.