Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New ATI 10.8 drivers fixed my problems, but...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2010 7:17:02 PM

These new 10.8 drivers released by ATI yesterday have saved my card! I own the Asus 4850, and it has been acting up since the day I bought it, 2 years ago. I never bothered to RMA it because it didn't act up with all games. I used to experience constant crashing problems (using all 3 windows versions) and the performance was not up to par by any means. For some reason, with these new drivers, I am able to run BFBC2 at a steady 50 FPS on max settings! I would have never been able to do this before. Plus, all the hissing and high pitched sounds coming from the card have stopped. I can't explain why, but all I know is that it works great now!

Now for the cons..
When I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit, the ATI Overdrive ceased to work in Catalyst. It will "unlock", but none of the settings work. The Auto-Tune just hangs and does nothing, the "Test Custom Clocks" also just sits there when clicked on. When I try to adjust the fan speed, it goes right back to what it was set to. Why is this? I heard that upgrading the bios on the mobo or the card could fix it, but this is something I have no experience in doing.

Lastly, is it normal for my card to warm up to 90 C when it is stressed? It idles at about 57 C. I have two fans in my case, a 120 mm fan blowing air out and another small one on the side blowing air in. The fans are junk, and the case has horrible airflow, but the CPU stays cold :) .

I would love to OC my card, but I don't think it would be good to, considering the high temps. I am willing to buy an aftermarket cooler, or just upgrade my case and fans, whichever will give me better results.

If need be, I can post some results using techpowerup's gpu program. I don't exactly know the best way to post a screenshot from this tho.

Best solution

a c 153 U Graphics card
August 27, 2010 7:22:24 PM

Don't upgrade the BIOS on the video card, thats a no-no. You can upgrade the regular BIOS though, although I don't know if it will fix the problem.

Have you tried a different overclocking utility? I would try out MSI afterburner and see if you have better results.

If the only aircooling you have is 2 120mm fans, I wouldn't even bother overclocking my GPU, you don't have the right setup for it and the performance gains won't even be that much.

What case do you have? Before you overclock you have to make sure you have a good case, good cable managment, a PSU that can handle the overclocking, and enough fans to cool the GPU. YOu also need at minimum two high CFM intake fans and one high CFM exhaust fan. One of those intakes fans should be directly on the GPU, however that is not needed.
a c 189 U Graphics card
August 28, 2010 2:35:39 AM

then try older driver like 10.3 or 10.4.
i own HD4850 and just installed 10.8 3 days ago and so far so good.
What program did you use to stressed the card?
What is your PSU? brand? model? how old?
Score
Related resources
August 28, 2010 3:24:06 AM

I added my computer specs to my sig. This PSU is about 3 years old I'd say, never had any issue with it. I am not touching my drivers again, I'm scared that the card will start acting up again hah! I actually just played BFBC2 and alt-tabbed to GPU-Z for the stressing. I haven't downloaded a GPU stresser yet. What GPU stressing program should I actually use?
Score
August 28, 2010 3:26:38 AM

Helltech said:
What case do you have? Before you overclock you have to make sure you have a good case, good cable managment, a PSU that can handle the overclocking, and enough fans to cool the GPU. YOu also need at minimum two high CFM intake fans and one high CFM exhaust fan. One of those intakes fans should be directly on the GPU, however that is not needed.

I will try the OC programs you have listed. I honestly have no idea what case I have, I bought it used off of a guy. This was when I didn't know buying a case with good airflow was important for gaming. I'm currently looking to buy a new case and fans. I do have 2 intake fans in the case and one 120 mm fan blowing air out of the case. Are there any cheap cases loaded with good fans and airflow? Or would I be better off just buying the case and fans separate?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 28, 2010 3:39:30 AM

cpoullas said:
I will try the OC programs you have listed. I honestly have no idea what case I have, I bought it used off of a guy. This was when I didn't know buying a case with good airflow was important for gaming. I'm currently looking to buy a new case and fans. I do have 2 intake fans in the case and one 120 mm fan blowing air out of the case. Are there any cheap cases loaded with good fans and airflow? Or would I be better off just buying the case and fans separate?

I would normally have the Antec 300 or 300 Illusion in my recommended list but not a Newegg's current pricing.You could wait cuz they always come up on sale.
Here's a couple of good CM cases.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 28, 2010 3:41:26 AM

I would NOT recommend using one of the common GPU stressers like Furmark or OCCT. They had a tendency to fry 4800 cards due to insufficient power circuitry (I think this may have been fixed with a software limiter, but no reason to take the chance imo).
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2010 3:45:23 AM

Agreed
Score
August 28, 2010 4:27:30 AM

I spoke too soon... The card is crashing again. I'll start a new thread, considering this thread has nothing to do with the card crashing.
Score
September 7, 2010 7:38:27 PM

Best answer selected by cpoullas.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 7, 2010 7:44:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!