Closed

Automatic Logoff after Logon

Help!

Using Norton Ghost, I copied the contents of one drive to my new, larger
one. The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it will say
goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the new drive. The old one
still works just fine.

Suggestions? I can't get to the desktop at all, even via Safe Mode.

Brian
11 answers Last reply
More about automatic logoff logon

    have you tried a different user account?

    "Brian" <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Help!
    >
    > Using Norton Ghost, I copied the contents of one drive to my new, larger
    > one. The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it will say
    > goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the new drive. The old one
    > still works just fine.
    >
    > Suggestions? I can't get to the desktop at all, even via Safe Mode.
    >
    > Brian

    Yes..I've tried both the administrator and my domain ID...even SAFE mode
    wont let me log in.

    "seth" <seth@work.net> wrote in message
    > have you tried a different user account?
    >
    > "Brian" <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> Using Norton Ghost, I copied the contents of one drive to my new, larger
    >> one. The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it will say
    >> goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the new drive. The old
    >> one still works just fine.
    >>
    >> Suggestions? I can't get to the desktop at all, even via Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> Brian

    ok...let me ask you this
    can you access the computer remotely through rdp?
    if not, can you access it remotely through computer management?
    would be interested to see what is showing in the event log; must be
    something there that explains what is happening

    > Yes..I've tried both the administrator and my domain ID...even SAFE mode
    > wont let me log in.
    >
    > "seth" <seth@work.net> wrote in message
    >> have you tried a different user account?
    >>
    >> "Brian" <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Help!
    >>>
    >>> Using Norton Ghost, I copied the contents of one drive to my new, larger
    >>> one. The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it will say
    >>> goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the new drive. The old
    >>> one still works just fine.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions? I can't get to the desktop at all, even via Safe Mode.
    >>>
    >>> Brian

    I don't have the ability to remote manage this machine. Things are OK right
    now it is just the fact I can install this new, larger hard drive with the
    exact image of my old one using Ghost.

    "Brian" wrote:
    >I don't have the ability to remote manage this machine.
    > Things are OK right now it is just the fact I can install
    > this new, larger hard drive with the exact image of my
    > old one using Ghost.

    I assume you meant to say "...it is just the fact that I
    CANNOT copy my old WinXP installation to my new
    hard drive and maintain its exact functionality when I
    do the copying using Ghost 9.0 ."

    What happens is that the clone doesn't open the user's
    Desktop as the original OS did, but instead logs into
    the default user's account and then immediately and
    automatically logs back out. Is that what you meant? :-)

    *TimDaniels*
  6. Anwering in portuguese: (translated step by step ;-)

    1-clique com o botão direito do mouse em meu computador.
    - Right click "my computer"

    2-escolha gerenciar
    - Go to "manage"

    3-vá em gerenciamento de disco
    - Goto to "disk management"

    4-clique com o botão direito no disco de destino e escolha a opção excluir partição.
    - Right click on the destinationd disk (empty disk of course, since all data will be overwriten)
    - destination disk "MUST BE EMPTY, NO ONE PARTITIONS/DRIVE-LETTER/NOTHING..."

    5-feche tudo
    - Close all opened windows

    6-vá no ícone do ghost, no system tray, clique com o botão direito e escolha RUN NORTON GHOST.
    - Run Norton Ghost

    7-aberto o ghost, clique em COPY ONE DRIVER TO ANOTHER
    - Goto to the "hard disk copy" or "copy onde drive to another" depending on the version in use

    8-clique em NEXT
    - Next

    9-escolha a unidade de origem
    - Choose "SEARCH UNIT" (normally C:)

    10-clique em NEXT
    - NEXT

    11-escolha a unidade de destino
    - Chosse destination disk/partition

    12-clique em NEXT
    - Next

    13-escolha os seguintes itens.
    Checkmark the following:

    -resize drive to fill unallocated space
    -set drive active(for booting os)
    -copy MBR

    14-clique em NEXT
    - Next

    15-clique em NEXT
    - next

    PS.:Espere até o final.
    - Wait for the process complete...

    The End
  7. well, that only took 3 years and 28 days to get bumped :D
  8. You suggesting he might have solved the problem by now?! :)
  9. I've just been struck by this exact same problem - posting incase anyone else is. It seems to be to do with the MBR if you don't do the ghost properly. Rather than reghosting I booted from a Win98 bootdisk and ran the command:
    fdisk /mbr
    This puts a clean new mbr on the disk, the system then booted and logged in fine :)
  10. Popylon :

    Easy just get the bootable floppy of dos ver 5.0 or 6.0 or 7.0 with fdisk on it.

    boot the system from floppy

    at the prompt type fdisk /MBR

    enjoy

Configuration Login Windows XP