arragon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hallo, at System start up , My Core I 5, 2.8Ghz , Overclocks itself, to 3.5 Ghz, Multiplier is set to 25 ????, then after a Minute , it drops to 1.2 Ghz, Multiplier drops to 9, When I enable XMP on The MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard, from 133 MHz, to 160 MHz, the CPU goes up to 4.0, MHz ?????

Solution

The first part is called turbo. It is a feature of the processor to improve performance.

The second is speedstep, designed to reduce power consumption when there is little or no demand on the CPU.

Neither is a concern and both are an advantage to have.

Don't mess with bios settings if you don't know what you are doing.

The first part is called turbo. It is a feature of the processor to improve performance.

The second is speedstep, designed to reduce power consumption when there is little or no demand on the CPU.

Neither is a concern and both are an advantage to have.

Don't mess with bios settings if you don't know what you are doing.

Solution

arragon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I haven't done a stress test, but when I Play games the CPU goes up to 2.5 Ghz, and the Graphics card goes up too, this is my first built PC, Colermaster 932 Case, MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard, G.Skill 8gb 1600 MHz, G. Skill 120 GB SSD, MSI 460 GTX Hawk Graphics Card, Kingwin 1000 Watt power supply, Windows 7, 64 bit OEM, Corsair H50

arragon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for the help, Msi Manual don't explain much of the Bios so I'm still learning, setting, memory, from 133mhz to 160Mhz, was easy, but CPU goes up to 4.0 Ghz, at System start up, temperature, was at 66, never went up , LED Power Phase, at full load, enabling XMP profile

If you enable the XMP feature in MoBo BIOS, it generally does two things:

1. BCLK changes from 133 to 160
2. Memory Multiplier goes from 8 to 10

If you don't have an aftermarket cooler, this would be a bad thing.

The processors have speed step and turbo mode ..... these are auto enabled when needed ... running OCCT for example will put your CPU under load and therefore speed step and turbo will have the CPU at its full potential.