Question about installing Windows on SSD

LLCoolKris

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Alright, I am building my first computer this week when my parts come in. I have a 3TB hard drive and an SSD(don't remember the size) My friend told me to remember to install windows onto the SSD, but to not put in the 3TB hard drive so I don't accidentally install it on the 3TB hard drive.

So my question is, how do I identify which drive is which during windows installation? Is it that hard to figure which is which? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just haven't installed windows on many computers so I'm unfamiliar with what the whole drive selection will be like.

jaideep1337

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
During the windows installation the size of the drives pop up too but still I would recommend not connecting the HDD because then windows always creates a 100mb partition on the HDD which slows boot times so yeah leave the HDD unplugged and plug it in only after you have finished installing windows. Also remember to do it in AHCI mode.

Yes just leave the thin SATA cable unplugged. AHCI shoudl be the default, but if not you can find it in your BIOS. It should not be on IDE