When will sandy bridge go on sale on Newegg???

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
The official release for SB has been reported to be the 9th. Leaks of Microcenters SB sale prices suggest the embargo lifts at this time. I've seen forum posts from people who tried to sweet talk the Microcenter guy to pull CPUs 'from the back'. It sounded like they'd sell motherboards, but not the CPUs. So... it sounds like stuff is in stock.. just wrapped up tight until Sunday.

Stores don't want to risk getting sued... and/or having their CPU supply jeopardized just by selling an few CPUs early...

So... I'd expect B&M and e-tailers to sell them as soon as they can this Sunday... I wouldn't be surprised if Newegg and friends go live 12:01am PST... (so at least the lower 48 are in 'Sunday') like the release of a Harry Potter movie or something... It could be later... but they're itching to sell them as much as we're itching to buy 'em :)

excelerater

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

The drop is on now........179 at new egg

People on message boards make it sound like older chips will split in half when new chips come out
and thats not the case - Every year I see this same old frenzy over new hardware,its a hype show
Have you priced out a 3 year old cpu these days ? They are down 50% from when first introduced
and it took 3 years to get there......The new SB chips are just hyped up versions of the current chips
with new boxes and numbers .....Sure they are faster but every few months a faster chip comes out
nothing new there.......Start shoppin!

joshc35

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011

Yes that is all so true. i purchased an i5-760 yesterday for $209 and its on order for pick up on friday .. i guess I should stick with this and not worry. As u said they will jsut keep bringing out new stuff that's even better

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Why 12:01 PST? If they were wanting to do it as early as possible why wouldn't they do it on EST?

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Can you cancel the order?

But like someone else just said you have two options now:
-reorder the same thing for $20 less
-order the 2500 for ~$20 more

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'm patriotic, I just want to do my part to reduce the deficit and "stimulate" the economy and reduce unemployment by buying a new CPU and MOBO. It's not really for me personally or because I'm a crazed computer geek who loves speed and bright shiny things or anything like that. It's for purely unselfish reasons. It's like Lene Lovich said in her song "New Toy",... "I get a New Toy (oh ay oh), to keep my head expanding (ta).
I get a New Toy (oh ay oh), nothing too demanding (ta)."

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

Its depending on how the NDA/embargo or whatever it is works... I'm assuming it works alot like a movie release. The midnight release in New York won't be at the same time as the midnight release in California. Since the web vendors service the whole country, I'm just assuming they have to wait for the PST midnight. Who knows... it could have to wait for Hawaii... or the international date line... or GMT...

I'd love if it was EST (in Michigan), but I'm not counting on it...

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Well, given jonpauls statements about stock quantity, I will probably just wait until I wake up tomorrow and order it. No need for an alarm for each different possible release time I don't suppose lol :D

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

hehe... yeah.. I agree. I'll probably take an early afternoon trip to Microcenter. :)
... but that wasn't the topic of the thread!

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
They'll probably be the cheapest

I wouldn't bet on that. In fact, it is not that common for Newegg to be the cheapest, if one really looks on most stuff. Some are just willing to pay for that "no questions asked" type of customer return service when there is a problem. Works for me, especially if buying most or all of a new system at once.

But with a long-scheduled release date of 1/9/11 for SB, I think it's reasonable to expect that if you call them on 1/7/11, they ought to know when they are going to have it in. And I did call and they were clueless- never even heard of it.

So I just pre-ordered my i7 2600K through another vendor for $ 319.95, along with the ASUS MB.

You snooze, you lose.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Sorry, I may post a link next week once I receive my tracking number that it shipped. That's IF it ships next week. I am not counting on that. The buzz on SB is big (cause of the price/perf), and unless you get on this train early, there may be shortages quickly at decent prices. Once that first wave of stock is gone after a run, not only do they get hard to find anywhere, but if you do get one you will overpay. Seen it happen before, and it just results in price gouging.

I am just trying to make sure I am in on that first run. Call up a few places and talk to them. See who's got a grip on this thing and find out any info you can. For me when it came to the CPU/MB, Newegg wasn't it. But they still got most of my biz on the entire rest of the system.