Sign in with
Your question

When will sandy bridge go on sale on Newegg???

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2011 2:16:01 AM

when will SB go for sale on newegg? and what price drops will you see in the i5 760?
a c 131 à CPUs
January 8, 2011 2:34:57 AM

I was expecting to see them for sale on the "original" day that they were supposed to be released (before they were "released" early) But that day has passed.
m
l
January 8, 2011 3:37:39 AM

I've been wondering myself. My guess, sometime this weekend or next week.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2011 4:22:42 AM

so theres no official release haha what a joke show
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2011 4:55:32 AM

The official release for SB has been reported to be the 9th. Leaks of Microcenters SB sale prices suggest the embargo lifts at this time. I've seen forum posts from people who tried to sweet talk the Microcenter guy to pull CPUs 'from the back'. It sounded like they'd sell motherboards, but not the CPUs. So... it sounds like stuff is in stock.. just wrapped up tight until Sunday.

Stores don't want to risk getting sued... and/or having their CPU supply jeopardized just by selling an few CPUs early...

So... I'd expect B&M and e-tailers to sell them as soon as they can this Sunday... I wouldn't be surprised if Newegg and friends go live 12:01am PST... (so at least the lower 48 are in 'Sunday') like the release of a Harry Potter movie or something... It could be later... but they're itching to sell them as much as we're itching to buy 'em :) 
m
l
January 8, 2011 7:27:08 AM

yes i am also wondering how much the price will drop of the I5-760 when the Sandy Bridges are released
m
l
January 8, 2011 7:49:59 AM

joshc35 said:
yes i am also wondering how much the price will drop of the I5-760 when the Sandy Bridges are released

The drop is on now........179 at new egg

People on message boards make it sound like older chips will split in half when new chips come out
and thats not the case - Every year I see this same old frenzy over new hardware,its a hype show
Have you priced out a 3 year old cpu these days ? They are down 50% from when first introduced
and it took 3 years to get there......The new SB chips are just hyped up versions of the current chips
with new boxes and numbers .....Sure they are faster but every few months a faster chip comes out
nothing new there.......Start shoppin!

m
l
January 8, 2011 8:04:50 AM

excelerater said:
The drop is on now........179 at new egg

People on message boards make it sound like older chips will split in half when new chips come out
and thats not the case - Every year I see this same old frenzy over new hardware,its a hype show
Have you priced out a 3 year old cpu these days ? They are down 50% from when first introduced
and it took 3 years to get there......The new SB chips are just hyped up versions of the current chips
with new boxes and numbers .....Sure they are faster but every few months a faster chip comes out
nothing new there.......Start shoppin!

Yes that is all so true. i purchased an i5-760 yesterday for $209 and its on order for pick up on friday .. i guess I should stick with this and not worry. As u said they will jsut keep bringing out new stuff that's even better
m
l
January 8, 2011 1:17:13 PM

Sandy bridge goes on sale 1-09-2011 with prices ranging from $117 for the I3-2100 up to $317 for the i7-2600k and if you live near a Microcenter like I do, expect them to be lower. There is 6 other cpus in between that price range.

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/powerspec/index....
m
l
January 8, 2011 1:38:11 PM

jpmucha said:
The official release for SB has been reported to be the 9th. Leaks of Microcenters SB sale prices suggest the embargo lifts at this time. I've seen forum posts from people who tried to sweet talk the Microcenter guy to pull CPUs 'from the back'. It sounded like they'd sell motherboards, but not the CPUs. So... it sounds like stuff is in stock.. just wrapped up tight until Sunday.

Stores don't want to risk getting sued... and/or having their CPU supply jeopardized just by selling an few CPUs early...

So... I'd expect B&M and e-tailers to sell them as soon as they can this Sunday... I wouldn't be surprised if Newegg and friends go live 12:01am PST... (so at least the lower 48 are in 'Sunday') like the release of a Harry Potter movie or something... It could be later... but they're itching to sell them as much as we're itching to buy 'em :) 

Why 12:01 PST? If they were wanting to do it as early as possible why wouldn't they do it on EST?
m
l
January 8, 2011 1:41:30 PM

Hopefully tomorrow they will start selling them. I just don't know the exact hour.
m
l
January 8, 2011 2:03:34 PM

joshc35 said:
Yes that is all so true. i purchased an i5-760 yesterday for $209 and its on order for pick up on friday .. i guess I should stick with this and not worry. As u said they will jsut keep bringing out new stuff that's even better

Can you cancel the order?
m
l
January 8, 2011 3:26:37 PM

So what is the word on how much the motherboards with cost for SB? will they have mobos around 100. 130. 150. 175. 200+?
m
l
January 8, 2011 3:29:45 PM

The range I have seen is 99.99 - 400.00 +.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 8, 2011 4:12:27 PM

joshc35 said:

But like someone else just said you have two options now:
-reorder the same thing for $20 less
-order the 2500 for ~$20 more
m
l
January 8, 2011 5:11:50 PM

I'm patriotic, I just want to do my part to reduce the deficit and "stimulate" the economy and reduce unemployment by buying a new CPU and MOBO. It's not really for me personally or because I'm a crazed computer geek who loves speed and bright shiny things or anything like that. It's for purely unselfish reasons. It's like Lene Lovich said in her song "New Toy",... "I get a New Toy (oh ay oh), to keep my head expanding (ta).
I get a New Toy (oh ay oh), nothing too demanding (ta)."

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2011 5:39:03 PM

willmalcom said:
Why 12:01 PST? If they were wanting to do it as early as possible why wouldn't they do it on EST?

Its depending on how the NDA/embargo or whatever it is works... I'm assuming it works alot like a movie release. The midnight release in New York won't be at the same time as the midnight release in California. Since the web vendors service the whole country, I'm just assuming they have to wait for the PST midnight. Who knows... it could have to wait for Hawaii... or the international date line... or GMT...

I'd love if it was EST (in Michigan), but I'm not counting on it...
m
l
January 8, 2011 5:43:29 PM

Well, given jonpauls statements about stock quantity, I will probably just wait until I wake up tomorrow and order it. No need for an alarm for each different possible release time I don't suppose lol :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2011 5:50:05 PM

willmalcom said:
Well, given jonpauls statements about stock quantity, I will probably just wait until I wake up tomorrow and order it. No need for an alarm for each different possible release time I don't suppose lol :D 

hehe... yeah.. I agree. I'll probably take an early afternoon trip to Microcenter. :) 
... but that wasn't the topic of the thread!
m
l
January 8, 2011 7:24:00 PM

Should be interesting to see how this all goes down. I hope NewEgg pricing will be competitive.
m
l
January 8, 2011 8:04:25 PM

Quote:
They'll probably be the cheapest

I wouldn't bet on that. In fact, it is not that common for Newegg to be the cheapest, if one really looks on most stuff. Some are just willing to pay for that "no questions asked" type of customer return service when there is a problem. Works for me, especially if buying most or all of a new system at once.

But with a long-scheduled release date of 1/9/11 for SB, I think it's reasonable to expect that if you call them on 1/7/11, they ought to know when they are going to have it in. And I did call and they were clueless- never even heard of it.

So I just pre-ordered my i7 2600K through another vendor for $ 319.95, along with the ASUS MB.

You snooze, you lose.
m
l
January 8, 2011 8:10:06 PM

today is 1/8 what vendor?
m
l
January 8, 2011 8:26:22 PM

What vendor did you pre-order from?
m
l
January 8, 2011 9:19:03 PM

Sorry, I may post a link next week once I receive my tracking number that it shipped. That's IF it ships next week. I am not counting on that. The buzz on SB is big (cause of the price/perf), and unless you get on this train early, there may be shortages quickly at decent prices. Once that first wave of stock is gone after a run, not only do they get hard to find anywhere, but if you do get one you will overpay. Seen it happen before, and it just results in price gouging.

I am just trying to make sure I am in on that first run. Call up a few places and talk to them. See who's got a grip on this thing and find out any info you can. For me when it came to the CPU/MB, Newegg wasn't it. But they still got most of my biz on the entire rest of the system.
m
l
January 8, 2011 9:44:17 PM

I have to doubt that any respectable US company would have violated the embargo/nda.
m
l
January 8, 2011 9:47:57 PM

Did you buy it off ebay?
m
l
January 8, 2011 10:17:55 PM

willmalcom said:
I have to doubt that any respectable US company would have violated the embargo/nda.

Another reason I won't post it, just in case. But doesn't matter. Nothing was violated. It was made clear to me that the MB would not ship until the CPU was in stock and shipping with it. And it was also made clear to me that there was no guarantee on an ETA. So I could be waiting a while, but I know more than what I am willing to say.

Like I said. If you are ready to buy, call up some vendors, make a friend, and get the inside scoop. Spend it with the best situation you can find.

Ebay? :lol:  :pfff: 

No.
m
l
January 8, 2011 10:24:10 PM

studioman22 said:
Another reason I won't post it, just in case. But doesn't matter. Nothing was violated. It was made clear to me that the MB would not ship until the CPU was in stock and shipping with it. And it was also made clear to me that there was no guarantee on an ETA. So I could be waiting a while, but I know more than what I am willing to say.

Like I said. If you are ready to buy, call up some vendors, make a friend, and get the inside scoop. Spend it with the best situation you can find.

Ebay? :lol:  :pfff: 

No.

Seems like it might have been smarter to trust the Newegg sources that say there will be enough stock to last until next shipment. Get the tracking number once the order is verified and have a definite ETA.

Or, to drive to Microcenter and spend get this deal: http://l2.microcentermail.com/C2L/er.aspx?k=73C65kiUc-Y...$$

But, to each his own ;) 
m
l
January 8, 2011 10:43:23 PM

willmalcom said:
Seems like it might have been smarter to trust the Newegg sources that say there will be enough stock to last until next shipment. Get the tracking number once the order is verified and have a definite ETA.

Or, to drive to Microcenter and spend get this deal: http://l2.microcentermail.com/C2L/er.aspx?k=73C65kiUc-Y...$$

But, to each his own ;) 

:lol: 

The in store special part of that wasn't up yesterday, just the $ 370.00. But still doesn't matter. The nearest MC to me is 3.5 hours away, one way.

I am happy with 320.00, it's done, and I am happy with the situation. I'll probably have mine by Friday or sooner if all goes well.
m
l
January 8, 2011 11:38:53 PM

I saw the original "In Store Special" days ago before it got yanked.

I live 45min., 1 way from a Microcenter store.

But throw in State and local sales tax as well as round trip gas $$ and it ends up being exactly equal to the per 1000 price that I'd expect Newegg to be using.

Not to count what else I could be doing on a Sunday morning when a major winter storm is predicted, "sleeping in" w/the wife. I have a real life.

BTW: I'm posting this off my wife's Athlon 2700 box. My Pentium 4, 3.4 build died last August.
m
l
January 9, 2011 3:07:51 AM

Looks like it's going to be west coast time if at all...
m
l
January 9, 2011 3:36:55 AM

selling now on tigerdirect.com
m
l
January 9, 2011 3:43:36 AM

now on newegg.com
m
l
January 9, 2011 4:12:11 AM

Yep snagged it up :D 

And I will have my tracking number, and will have it by Wednesday :) 
m
l
January 9, 2011 4:23:05 AM

hahaha yeah mine *probably* will be, but DEF by Wed ... usually takes 2 days from Jersey ... what mobo did u go with? and what cooler u gonna use?
m
l
January 9, 2011 4:25:50 AM

nope, I was hoping for Maximus IV, so I went with Asus Deluxe ... hope it'll serve me well enough ... :/  I am sure it will and cooler I am gonna use my Noctua NH-D14

I was gonna stick with Gigabyte ... but decided to go with the ASUS

EDIT again: I don't know much about water systems, but the H70 serves you well?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2011 4:48:02 AM

It looks like midnight EST was the closest winner :) 

Newegg doesn't have my 2500T. The Microcenter in-store deals look pretty attractive. Not bad pricing for release day in general.

The uEFI support on the Asus boards was looking attractive. I'm typically a Gigabyte guy, but Asus is my close 2nd... so I think I'll be going that way this time. Gigabyte has a beta BIOS for the board I was looking at that *might* be uEFI (has 3GB boot support), but it doesn't 'own' it.

Keep the good shopping stories coming :) 
m
l
January 9, 2011 5:28:55 AM

the motherboard is my big problem. Was looking at asus pro or deluxe. But that ASrock extreme4 board looks very nice too. I had seen a review on that and they liked it but I think that was before the asus boards were around.
thoughts?
m
l
January 9, 2011 5:35:14 AM

I haven't really heard great things about ASrock in general. I would go with ASUS or Gigabyte.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2011 5:41:57 AM

willmalcom said:
I haven't really heard great things about ASrock in general. I would go with ASUS or Gigabyte.

AsRock is a 'sister' company to Asus. It could be looked at like a Toyota/Lexus type thing. It was spun off to target business applications, but also put out some good value boards with interesting features. The board I had awhile back had both AGP and PCI express ports, there was an expansion card to support the next CPU socket, and a couple other things. It was forward thinking.

I wouldn't necessarily write them off.
m
l
January 9, 2011 5:45:43 AM

I read that review a while ago, but don't remember it all in detail.
I remember that it made me think 'meh' about the board, and after reading that review I eliminated the ASrock as a choice.
m
l
January 9, 2011 5:51:31 AM

except the usb read/write speeds it outperformed the asus p67 pro and gigabyte p67a ud4. (but with the fastcopy software thing that comes with it it'll boost the copy speeds to be better)
That's what I got from the review and that's pretty good.
It doesn't have dual lan but I don't think I'll be needing that plus I'm probably going to stick with 1 gpu for a while since I don't currently do any gaming (my current computer is 6 years old though). Maybe in the future mostly video encoding for me.
But I like to hear why asus or gigabyte are a better choice for you. I like to be informed before making a huge purchase.
m
l
January 9, 2011 6:27:54 PM

Resteasy said:

But I like to hear why asus or gigabyte are a better choice for you. I like to be informed before making a huge purchase.

They are the two top brands. They both usually put out top quality products. Usually. But if not overclocking, probably go with Gigabyte. I just went ASUS on this build though because I want the option to overclock, and the new EFI bios is ten years overdue. And if anyone is going to load you up with OC features, it is ASUS.

There is a silent killer though who usually gets more corporate business, and that is Intel. They make some extremely stable boards, but most not with the features and selection of the other brands that gamers and OCers like. I've had less problems (none) out of Intel boards though than any other brand.

Intel finally wised up and designed a chip they knew could handle the overclocks, and delivered it at a much lower stock speed- so people had more room to play. 5+ ghz on air is pretty impressive, from a 3.4 stock. I'll probably eventually run my i7 2600K at around 4, and shouldn't take too much off the life of the chip.
m
l
January 10, 2011 1:35:37 AM

i ordered mine earlier and i plan on going for 4.6GHz or maybe 4.8GHz but probably 4.6GHz
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 1:42:22 AM

CyberPower H67 Configurator

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU
Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Game
4GB DDR3/1600MHz RAM
Asus H67 USB3 & SATA-III MB
500GB SATA-II 7200 RPM HD
24X DVD+-R/+-RW Drive

$539 Buy it
m
l
January 10, 2011 1:47:55 AM

studioman22 said:

There is a silent killer though who usually gets more corporate business, and that is Intel. They make some extremely stable boards, but most not with the features and selection of the other brands. I've had less problems (none) out of Intel boards than any other brand.

I have the same question going through my choices, an everyday stable workstation or a hugely overclockable board
m
l
January 10, 2011 2:03:20 AM

seller417 said:
CyberPower H67 Configurator

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU
Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Game
4GB DDR3/1600MHz RAM
Asus H67 USB3 & SATA-III MB
500GB SATA-II 7200 RPM HD
24X DVD+-R/+-RW Drive

$539 Buy it

why no gpu....
guess u don't plan on gaming
m
l
January 10, 2011 2:16:44 AM

swimswithtrout said:
I have the same question going through my choices, an everyday stable workstation or a hugely overclockable board

Yeah well that's why it appears that Intel is trying to get into the game with their Extreme Series boards. And their Extreme P67 1155 board could be an interesting compromise for someone like me whose latest and greatest ASUS P8P67 Deluxe decides to die for some unknown reason in six months.

Cause this is probably exactly what I will do if that happens:
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/db-D...

The i7-2600K will be just as happy on the Intel board at stock to moderate OC speeds. And that's as far as I am pushing my chip anyway. But yeah, to have that Intel reliability too is tempting. And at around the same price as the ASUS- or less.
m
l
January 10, 2011 2:41:51 PM

i just called tiger and they said the don't even have "asus maximus iv extreme" on their database... they had the i7 2600k on their database like a week and a half before it came out so it might be a while.

i called tiger because their phone number is easy to find and i didn't see neweggs at first
m
l
!