Sign in with
Your question

XFX GeForce 9800gtx+ problem!!! [Please help]

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2010 9:30:24 PM

Hello Tom's hardware community! I have a small/major problem which I need to resolve! I use a XFX GeForce 9800gtx+ and it has suddenly stopped working but more like malfunctioned... I have had this card for a while now and it's a very good card, slightly noise on start-up but meh, not life changing. But as I said about being noisy on start-up that's where my problem is... As some people may or may not know the 9800gtx+, when you boot your computer up it makes about 3 fan revs and then pauses for a second and then does 3 more and then the computer boots itself and everything works normally but today I ran into a major problem which I have never had before, I tried to boot up my PC and the graphics card fan was working but instead of making 3 revs and then pausing and then 3 more, it constantly was revving every second and wont stop, I don't know WHY this does it as it never has before, I have cleaned the fan out, I have cleaned my CPU and my RAM modules and cleaned all fans on my computer and it still makes the revving constantly! I will post my computers specs below in hope that there will be a conclusion to this problem, please help as I dont want to purchase another graphics card and I also have no other computer to test it on as my old ones used AGP slots.

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
3gb DDR2 RAM
500gb HD
XFX GeForce 9800gtx+
500watt power supply

Thanks!
October 12, 2010 9:49:37 PM

1) what is the temp of the card? perhaps it is overheating and the fans are on %100 to cool it. Maybe it just needs the heatsink removed and reapplied?

2) Have you tried removing the GPU driver and reinstalling it?
October 12, 2010 9:50:57 PM

do you see any artifacts?

the fans are running @ 100% but is the card still functioning correctly?
Related resources
October 12, 2010 10:04:59 PM

sounds like your videocard is fried. sorry
October 12, 2010 10:17:15 PM

grieve said:
do you see any artifacts?

the fans are running @ 100% but is the card still functioning correctly?

I can't tell you temperature's because I physically can't access my Operating System, the fans just keep revving and thats it, I don't see any artifacts and the computer wont start/boot up it just keeps revving the fan, I dont want my card to be broke but id rather know the answer to it all ><
October 14, 2010 8:56:38 AM

Assuming you dont have onboard vid/another card to test with. have you tried removing the card and checking for "beeps" also assuming that there is an on-board speaker installed.

!