Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Format
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2013 12:19:38 PM

Hello,
I have a big issue with my external hard drive. I took 2,5" Toshiba hard drive from laptop because windows were reporting that it might stop working and all data will be lost. I bought case for external hard drive and plugged it through usb into pc. It was "write protected". Windows didn't let me to format it or do anything. I managed to format it with low level format tools but whenever I unplugged it write protection returned. My next move was to connect it through SATA cable and with GParted I formatted it, put it back to external case and plug it with usb. Now windows let me to format it and it was working until I unplugged it, "write protection" returned. I tried with diskpart, "Current read-only state: Yes" couldn't be set to "No", I forgot to mention that I took ownership when I formatted it with GParted. What shall I do now ? Please help.

More about : external hard drive

a b G Storage
January 21, 2013 1:07:08 PM

Well, you answered your own question. Windows reported that it was going bad. Didn't you believe it? Download and use the manufacturers diagnostics tools and let us know what it says. Thanks.
January 22, 2013 11:10:06 AM

My friend sent me some program to check hard disk and it reported "bad sectors" 6 months ago. Now I'm sure that I must throw it in trash :)  I'm not very good with hardware. Thank you for your time.
Related resources
a c 336 G Storage
January 24, 2013 4:30:15 PM

The Reallocation (sic) Sector Count attribute has fallen below its threshold and is reporting 2047 (= 0x7FF) bad sectors.

It's time to replace your drive.
January 25, 2013 10:29:00 AM

So I can't use it for anything ?
a c 392 G Storage
January 25, 2013 12:13:28 PM

Scheks1003 said:
So I can't use it for anything ?

A door stop or a paper weight. ;) 
a c 336 G Storage
January 25, 2013 4:04:39 PM

If you can't replace it under warranty, then you could sell the PCB on Ebay.
January 26, 2013 9:05:59 AM

Haha ok, thank you guys for your time :) 
!