moonlightffxiv

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my CPU. The temperature rises to 85c after two minutes of startup and it causes the PC to shutdown within 5 minutes. I've had this issue before when I first put together the rig and it turned out that I forgot to plug in the CPU fan cable. This time I made sure that it's properly plugged in and I still got the same issue.

I just moved out to a new place so I had to unplug everything and store my PC in a box for about a week, but I don't see how this could affect the heatsink or the CPU fan.

My components are:
Intel i7 950 CPU
Corsair H70 CPU fan
EVGA FTW3 MOBO
6GB Corsair RAM
x2 EVGA Superclocked GTX 480

Anyone know a solution to this problem? I'm thinking to apply new TIM but I'm not sure if that's the case or if I can remove the heatsink from the CPU. This rig is relatively new (4-5 months old) and I don't think it's an issue of a component wearing out. I'm suspecting that something might have fallen out of place during the moving process.

Thanks.

Yes, you need to remove the Heat Sink and clean off the Thermal Paste from both the CPU Top and the Heat Sink Base.
After that use Isopropyle to clean both the surfaces and then use new , good, thermal paste.
Connect the CPU (Pump) Wire to it's designated connector (CPU FAN) on the board and try to boot it up.
Connect the Fans of the Radiator to the Chassis Fan Connector on the Mobo

Since you are using the closed loop LC H70 I'd suggest a dry run outside the cabinet just to see if it's working fine...... check for bent piping it could be a cause of the immediate rise in temps and shutdown of your rig.
Actually before removing anything , I'd like you to check for a bent pipe all around the Pump and Radiator.