G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series + Noctua nh-d14?

efecanirim

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I'll get these ram kits(2x4gigs) but I have noctua nh-d14 cpu heatsink and I'll have to put the ramkits just in the slot that is just under the heatsink because other ram slots are causing problems from time to time. My mobo is GA 880GM-ud2h.
Also, my system is AMD and its told that these rams are made for intel boards, will it cause any problems on amd board? Thanks.

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Compatibility of both the MOBO & RAM are both good; see -> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

The RAM up to DDR3-1333MHz @ 1.50v will work after that it depends upon the RAM Kit and your CPU. In general 4-core is good 1333MHz~1600MHz and 6-core 1333MHz~2000MHz frequencies.

edit: I should add, with AMD and 4GB/stick density it's generally a good idea to upgrade to the latest BIOS.

efecanirim

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Thanks! Glad to be here, to explore and share:)

I have Phenom II x6 1090T BE, not o/cing until I get a better board which has 8+2 or 6+2 mosfets with efficient heatsinks on them. Although I have 6-core CPU, I prefer 1333Mhz frequency to run stable 24/7. I'm attracted to those ram kits because they're Cl7 and their timming is default @7-7-7-21, a rate that many people overclock their rams to reach to.

So, ram kits wont touch my heatsink? I couldn't make it clear reading your post, my bad.
I'll install my ram kits on the blue slots, as you can see on the picture below,
6p4xdx.jpg

and those blue slots are fully covered by my heatsink.

As for BIOS flashing, I upgraded to F8, the latest BIOS, but, there was a list on download page which goes like,

F8 -> *Features
F7 -> *Features
F6 -> *Features
F5 -> *Features
F2 -> *Company defaults

and I only downloaded and upgraded to F8, ignoring the formers because I though the latest would include all the previous upgrades, I'm not sure if I had to download and install them in turn and one-by-one.
For you can see for yourself: The official Gigabyte website of my MOBO - BIOS download page

"Compatibility of both the MOBO & RAM are both good" = BOTH FIT. They won't touch once installed. I proved a link so you you could see for yourself.

Your MOBO allows the RAM to be installed, in pairs, in either the White DIMM slots <OR> Blue DIMM slots.

Since you have BIOS version F8 installed there's nothing more that you need to download or flash; No BIOS has 'prior' version dependencies; it all gets wiped clean and erased every time you flash; there's no such a thing as "BIOS Patches."

Just be careful there are (3) three versions of your GA-880GM-UD2H MOBO, and using the wrong BIOS can 'damage' the MOBO.

Further, your Phenom II X6 1090T REQUIRES a minimum version of F5 otherwise the CPU, at best, was dummied-down or won't work/function or work/function properly.

efecanirim

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

I updated the BIOS on @BIOS application, Gigabyte's retail utily, so I guess it should be correct.
Well, I checked it now, it's correct. See:
2m85jyg.jpg

I had downladed it this way.

Ah uh now it's such a relief to know my favourite cpu heatsink and my future-favourite ram are compatible. I was a bit depressed upon seeing those rams' high cooler lest they wouldn't fit well with my cpu cooler. Wouldn't like to cut the top off of those ram coolers :)

Thanks, I'm ordering it now!