Sign in with
Your question

Diamond ATI HD 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2010 8:25:57 PM

Hi,

Summary:
I am having a problem with my HD 5770 playing videos with a bitrate over a 1000 going to a green screen in the media player and sometimes causing that generic video driver failure.

Details:
I upgraded from a Nvidia card a few months ago and immediately enjoyed the better performance on the few 3d video games I play. While I don't play every day, when I do play I play for hours so I felt pretty confident about the stability of the new card.

A few of weeks ago I tried playing music videos I had recorded at various times. In the middle of the list I got the green screen. I was puzzled, but assumed there was a problem with the file and moved on. Everything was fine for the next couple of files and then I got the same problem again. I became a little concerned and started looking for patterns. Eventually I discovered the common denominator was .wmv files with a bitrate over 1000 (it could be a bit a lower or a bit higher, most of the ones that died were 1100+ and my other files that work seem to be under 900).

Over the last few weeks I have tried various fixes, upgraded all my drivers to the latest and tried a few different codecs but no luck.

I see quite a bit about modifying settings, but while I know a bit about operating systems I don't know much about hardware.

Can anyone give me any ideas how to fix this, or even what to look into?

Thanks!

More about : diamond ati 5770

a c 153 U Graphics card
August 27, 2010 8:53:23 PM

Try using older ATI drivers, start with 10.4, and see if its stable. ATI has some driver issues right now.
August 27, 2010 9:12:27 PM

I will give it a shot, looking over my history I tried 10.5 and forward. :) 
Related resources
August 27, 2010 9:40:18 PM

Sadly no go - I also tried 10.8 which came out a couple of days ago - but neither it nor 10.4 solved the problem.
August 28, 2010 4:19:31 AM

Ok, so I after way too many hours and removing every codec that might also be part of the problem I got the video working...mostly.

ATI comes with a program (Avsomething) for converting videos. The ATI codecs and filters installed in this program appeared to cause a problem. I uninstalled it, and then had manually get rid of a left over (ATI Ticker) and now I get video.

But...the driver still stops on the videos occasionally and gives the generic error and resets.
!