Boot up issues and freezing issues

bh2o

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
So I have been having this issue where I start my computer and it loads like normal, however, after it goes through the windows loading bar screen, it just stays black (windows vista). I then reset my computer, which then won't even run through the boot cycle unless I hit the reset button a couple of times. I tried only having 4 gigs of ram, still had the same error, switched ram and used different slots, same thing. I have recently switched to a radeon 5850 and I made sure it was connected properly. My specs should be in my signature. I am thinking maybe my power supply isn't big enough perhaps or my mobo isn't compatible with ATI cards?

My second issue I have been having is when I play certain video games, in this case HON (Heroes of Newerth) and SC2, my system will occasionally freeze for no particular reason that I can tell. I am not sure if it has anything to do with my error above or not, but it is a little annoying.

Please help! If you need any more information just ask and I will do my best. I do not OC my computer or any other components.

bh2o

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Guess it doesn't show in my info, here is my setup:
cpu: q9300 quad core 2.5 ghz
MoBo: EVGA nForce 750i
Case: CM Stacker 830
Mem: 8gb (4x2gb) g.skill pc2 8500
gfx: XFX 5850.
sound: SB Xi-Fi Xtreme

650-watt power supply.

The first thing that I would try would be another power supply, the fact that you are having trouble getting it to post would point to this. Are you sure that you are not overclocking your computer? Try setting the BIOS to the default settings. Another possible cause if replacing your power supply does not cure the problem is faulty memory try running a memory test program such as memtest86.

bh2o

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
The sound card has always worked, it has been doing this a little after I put in my new GFX card. I will try resetting my bios to default and see if that helps. Ill let you know tomorrow. If that doesn't work, than I will try the sound card. Hopefully its not a power supply issue :(

bh2o

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
So I tried running defaults in bios and still had same errors. Also my screen will flicker sometimes, its very rarily, usually on boot up and when I first open a game. I'll try the sound card today and see if that helps.

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

I know quite a few people who hate Vista, and blame all of the problems in the world on Windows Vista.

World hunger - because of vista.
Cancer - no cases reported until Vista was released.
Miners being trapped - Mine shaft collapsed after Vista announcement.

I'd try replacing your OS, but maybe that's because I have heard so much bad stuff about, you guessed it, Vista.