Sign in with
Your question

Wow this CPU is loud, even though the reviews said it was quiet....

Last response: in Components
January 8, 2011 4:22:41 AM

I purchased the following Case w/ 500W PSU built in. There is a large fan mounted on the side removable panel. I've read the reviews and lot of people said it was quiet.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But this is not at all quiet ! There's no way to control the PSU through the BIOS and the side fan just runs from the power, no control over it.

At this point I am going to try disconnect the side fan....but I doubt it will help....

I think mainly the biggest noise is from PSU blowing huge amount of air. There seems to be no changes in it's noise....it's just blasting air loudly.

My CPU is idling at about 30~38 C. Memory @ 28 C. Graphic card @ 30 C.

Any ideas on how to solve this noise problem ? Which PSU would run quieter ?
a b ) Power supply
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 8, 2011 4:40:22 AM

the link to that psu isnt working for me, please state make and model and the rest of your system specs.
Reasons a psu fan will spin fast:
1. too much power is being drawn from it and much heat is being created in the PSU so the fan spins faster.
2. faulty PSU
3. the ambient temperature the PSU is in is too hot - cool the room and get case exhaust fan.
January 8, 2011 5:16:03 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
the link to that psu isnt working for me, please state make and model and the rest of your system specs.
Reasons a psu fan will spin fast:
1. too much power is being drawn from it and much heat is being created in the PSU so the fan spins faster.
2. faulty PSU
3. the ambient temperature the PSU is in is too hot - cool the room and get case exhaust fan.

Linkworld 313-11(3131-11) Black / Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

1. I'm not sure about that. I only have HD 5670 512MB, 4GB G.Skill RAM, Athlon ii x3 445....all fairly lower end of power consumption.

2. how do I know if it's faulty ? Everything seems to be running smoothly.

3. This computer is in the living room, so it's really not at al hot. case exhaust fan ?

Thank you.
Related resources
January 8, 2011 5:48:02 AM

Lol, that is a dud. With that of a cheap of a case, that psu is crappy quality at best. That PSU can fail the voltage constants and ripple/noise tests, which can ruin your stuff.
January 8, 2011 5:52:44 AM

You paid $50 for a case and a PSU. Do you expect top notch parts? You get what you pay for. My Corsair PSU was $110 on sale. It works well and it is high quality. A PSU is the most overlooked component and the most critical in system reliability and longevity. Replace the crappy PSU.

Also, a CPU is not loud. It's made of silicon and various metals. There are no moving parts. It can not be loud.

Replace the garbage PSU with something that will work. Look for an Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, PCP&C or other HIGH quality brands.
January 8, 2011 6:56:54 AM

one-shot said:
You paid $50 for a case and a PSU. Do you expect top notch parts? You get what you pay for. My Corsair PSU was $110 on sale. It works well and it is high quality. A PSU is the most overlooked component and the most critical in system reliability and longevity. Replace the crappy PSU.

Also, a CPU is not loud. It's made of silicon and various metals. There are no moving parts. It can not be loud.

Replace the garbage PSU with something that will work. Look for an Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, PCP&C or other HIGH quality brands.

I really want a quiet PSU.....any recommendations ?
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2011 12:20:15 PM

seasonic
a b ) Power supply
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 8, 2011 8:57:32 PM

all you need for that setup is an antec earthwatts 380w. Any good brand (seasonic, antec, corsair, fsp, silverstone) should be pretty quiet. Nearly every case+psu combo will have a rubbish PSU and you should replace it immediately. Theh 500w rating on your PSU is a PEAK rating, and would be more realistically 250-300w continuous.
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2011 9:04:28 AM

Hi dorikick... can you list all your components so that a decent psu with the correct wattage can be recommended???

Edit - OK i missed out the specs in an earlier post...

Go for this Corsair CX 430 before the rebate gets over... its only $25... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
Seasonic S12 380W for $53... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
OCZ StealthXstream II 500W for $45 (with rebate)... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!