Lga 1156 vs lga 1356

azharkhan46

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hello, i want to ask about these 2 different , platform,s
which one ir most faster,, as we know the 1156 is bit older ,, and 1366 is newest but i ve heard about that the 1156 socket is more reliable in performance.
m looking in details that what to do , so i can buy a best pc my basic pupsing is video editing and also gamimg multimedia etc

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Actually, I believe LGA 1366 was released first (or at least CPUs that used it were first). Wikipedia is saying 1366 was out roughly a year before 1156.

Overall... the LGA 1366 is the 'enthusiast' platform. You'd use a X58 mobo which is typically more feature rich. It has triple channel DDR3 (vs dual channel for 1156). Supports the generally higher end Core i7 CPUs including 6-core CPUs. 1366 CPUs require more power (130W TDP). Some Xeon server CPUs use LGA 1366 also. Wikipedia is telling me that LGA1366 uses a different bus interface (QPI) with roughly 10x the bandwidth. Also, more PCI express lanes are supported. I'm sure there are more differences, but those are probably the highlights.

Both should be equally reliable. LGA 1366 is generally more expensive to build.

Note that LGA 1155 releases next week, replacing 1156 and that LGA 2011 is about a year off in the future to replace 1366.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

I forgot to address your build question... If you haven't bought anything yet, I would probably go for one of the new LGA1155 platforms. All reviews are pretty glowing... LGA1156 is being 'replaced' by LGA1155... and prices are roughly the same as LGA1156 alternatives... If you're doing light gaming, you might be able to get by with an H67 chipset mobo since the integrated graphics is roughly as powerful as a Radeon 5450. Its more likely you'll want a discrete GPU to meet your needs. A P67 chipset mobo will be what you're looking for with a good GPU. The Radeon 5770 is a strong performer you can find approaching $100. An Nvidia Fermi is getting good reviews too. The quad core Intel i5-2500K processor is a little over $200 an looks to be a good bang for the buck solution. Your video editing software should like the 4 cores. An Intel i7-2600K is another option over $300. Its a quad core with Hyperthreading (allowing upto 8 threads to simultaneously be processed). There's plenty of options depending on your budget :)

Really, anything modern you buy now will meet your needs... I like finding the solution that meets your current (and immediate future) needs and leaves as much money in your pocket to feed future computer builds :)

Happy building!

For video editing CUDA will be again so that has you leaning nVidia. This also likes fast I/O so large SSD would help. As for platform, that's a budget decision. Nothing you have mentioned benefits greatly from 1366, so if budget is a consideration, 1155 based system would save you about $200. OTOH, if ya have the disposable income, 1366 does have advantages in certain areas.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
It often comes down to a question of how often you want to do upgrades...

I can usually put together a strong mainstream system for $600 with quality parts... but say 3 years later I'll spend another $300-400 to update the CPU/mobo/RAM... which will make it last another 3 years.

The alternative is to put together a high end system for $1000-1200 ... and it might last for 4-5 years before 'feeling slow'.

I like the first option for value (and I get parts to push down to a family member).. but the 2nd option is faster to start with... and you don't have to put the effort into the 3-year build...

If you're doing this for business... the higher end system will make your tasks take less time... and time is money... so that's all good...

You just have to make a call for your own situation :)