Seagate 500Gb Portable hard disk creates beeping sound

markdellagiustina

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
My seagate hard drive just beeps and my computer is not recognizing it. I have tried to connect with other cables and to another computer with no luck. HELP!!

cl-scott

Honorable
If it's kind of a whining beep that sort of sounds similar to something trying to spin up but failing... Then that's exactly what is happening.

The sad truth is that external HDDs tend to have very short lives, because they get kicked around a lot, no matter how gingerly you think you are being with them.

There's always a small chance that it's the enclosure that's bad, so you can try pulling the drive out and putting it into a new enclosure, but it sounds like in this case it's the drive that's done died on you.

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have this drive: Seagate slim portable 500mb 5400rpm drive. I never took it anywhere, had it barely 2yrs and stayed unused for most of that time . i just began to back up movies and video on it. started to softly beep and failed to be recognized by any of my 3 home computers or laptop.
I guess it is shot. I tried all kinds of ways to see if i could extract any data and find it isnt possible....not by me, not here at home . i took it apart just to see , and there isnt anything i can do but put it into a box of all the other dead drives i have accumulated over 20yrs.. (not many really) not a WD or Samsung among them tnough

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

thanks, that is the only thing i havent tried. this unit is a usb3 version with the changeable interface Seagate put out on this model. i can not get anywhere with it. brand new it had trouble with the 18" supplied usb 3 cable. i had to buy a new one , as a last resort, to make it work. i never thought that would fix it at the time, but did.
actually, i think the thing is shot, those beeps i can hear when i put my ear up to the case when i put power to it sounded ominous. cant count the number, but more than 3 or 4, i am sure of that. I tried to count them but they move along fast and barely audible without putting my ear to the thing.
it is/was a handy thing but did not take any abuse, never moved farther than from one room to another just to transfer or add without needing to keep 2 or 3 computers on at the same time. i do not need it, got if for doing a product review on it when it came out. so, never had any warranty with it. only put movies on it since it started off with such a shaky beginning. but, after a year of ok performance, i did begin to trust it more, and did use it to watch videos. oh , well
thanks
john