rivo101

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hi guys,

I need your expertice again lol Im thinking of upgrading my motherboard and
case and i was just wondering would i be able to move everything from my
old PC ( ram, graphics, psu cpu and all that jazz) into the new case and motherboard without a problem?

My main concern is the hard drive, will i have to delete all the data of it? or can i keep it for the upgrade?
Ive built my own PC before just never upgraded a couple of components at one time.

If you could spare some time to help that would be very much appreciated

Thanks Rob

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Generally it is easier to reformat the HDD when changing the motherboard. It can be done though I find it easier to reformat the HDD.

As long as the case has sufficient space for your components you'll be fine.

rivo101

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

So what happens when you reformat the hardrive? and how do you do it?

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
You use your OS (windows) disk to reinstall it self. "reformat" is the process of wiping the HDD. Just Bing it and read a guide on reinstalling your OS.

You can just save your documents to a portable HDD.

mattimeo005

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
if you want to keep the files on your old HDD, you can just move it over without having to delete or do anything to it. the rest of your components will move over without issue as long as you get a motherboard that is compatible for them. If your RAM is DDR2, make sure your mobo supports it, and if you are moving your cpu over, make sure the socket on your mobo accepts the cpu. Generally, its easier to upgrade CPU+mobo together, as simply upgrading the mobo won't net you much of an increase in performance, and you'll be restricted to whatever generation your cpu is.

On the software side, once you change your mobo, you will have to reinstall windows, because your hardware configuration has changed.