Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need system compatibility check.

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 13, 2010 2:19:28 AM

Hey, new guy here. Im trying to build a computer system for sound production/gaming. Nothing to extreme just a simple PC with lots of ram and CPU. Im just not quite sure if all this stuff i picked out is right/will work together. It looks right when i check the specks but i just want a second opinion from some one who knows more about stuff like this. So here's what i picked out:


CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Video - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thats the stuff that im not 100% sure if it will work together. Also, im not sure if the mobo will support the x6 core AMD. Because the reviews on newegg say that the BIOS is wrong or something. Not exactly sure what they mean. If any one can help me out and tell me if it will work together or not let me know :) . Thank You.

October 13, 2010 2:50:03 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Mousemonkey
October 13, 2010 3:19:58 AM

Ash ur right, dint see the New Built section, Thank You HairryMonkey :) 
Related resources
October 13, 2010 3:47:11 AM

It's all compatible, but could I suggest this motherboard instead? It uses a newer chipset, also can handle crossfire, has USB 3 and SATA 6 and is only $5 more.

ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your motherboard probably would've supported the x6 Phenom after a bios update, but this one will out-of-the-box.

That PSU is much too strong for the rest of the components in this build. I mean, there's no such thing as "too big" in the sense that nothing bad will happen really, but it's just a bunch of money spent that's not needed.

A corsair 650TX would handle two 5770s. If you're thinking even more ambitiously in terms of future graphics, maybe even step up to a 750 W. But two 5770s is fine on a 650TX. I wouldn't spend the extra cash on anything more than 750, though.
October 13, 2010 4:01:10 AM

Hey thanx for the productive reply. I will take a look at that motherboard and the PSU.
October 14, 2010 5:17:46 PM

StillLearningx2 said:
Hey, new guy here. Im trying to build a computer system for sound production/gaming. Nothing to extreme just a simple PC with lots of ram and CPU. Im just not quite sure if all this stuff i picked out is right/will work together. It looks right when i check the specks but i just want a second opinion from some one who knows more about stuff like this. So here's what i picked out:


CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For your CPU you need to see if it has the same socket as your MOBO and has to be the same brand of course

and yes, go with what Morton suggested

Do you really need SIX cores..? "Nothing too extreme, gaming and sound production" You don't need 6 cores...

Same Brand? - Check, AMD
Same Socket? - Check, AM3


Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't know if I'm hallucinating but 16GB of RAM is overkill... You'd be fine with just 4 or 6GB

Speed natively supported by MOBO? - Check 1333MHz is supported
Same pin input? - Check, 240-pin
DDR 1/2/3? - Check, DDR3
Channels? - Warning: Your RAM is quad-channel, I'm not sure if this will work on a dual-channel on your mobo (go with 4GB DDR3 and you'll be fine)


Video - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PCI slot - Check, MOBO supports the PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1000W is way overkill, you'd be fine with 650-700W

Thats the stuff that im not 100% sure if it will work together. Also, im not sure if the mobo will support the x6 core AMD. Because the reviews on newegg say that the BIOS is wrong or something. Not exactly sure what they mean. If any one can help me out and tell me if it will work together or not let me know :) . Thank You.


If I helped you out, a best answer would be great :) 
October 14, 2010 5:50:05 PM

Quote:
Channels? - Warning: Your RAM is quad-channel, I'm not sure if this will work on a dual-channel on your mobo (go with 4GB DDR3 and you'll be fine)


It's just two dual channel sets. No problem.
October 14, 2010 7:13:13 PM

Ok thanks, but like I said 16 GB is overkill :) 
October 14, 2010 10:23:49 PM

Thank you guys for the help. When i mean nothing to extreme i meant not getting a server board with multiple cpu's and tons of ram ;D. The reason i picked out a 6 core cpu and 16g ram is because the stuff is fairly cheap i think, so i figured id get it and not worry about upgrades for a while. Plus for sound/music production lots of ram and a fast cpu is a must.

Thanx for the help again ;D
October 14, 2010 10:30:55 PM

StillLearningx2 said:
Thank you guys for the help. When i mean nothing to extreme i meant not getting a server board with multiple cpu's and tons of ram ;D. The reason i picked out a 6 core cpu and 16g ram is because the stuff is fairly cheap i think, so i figured id get it and not worry about upgrades for a while. Plus for sound/music production lots of ram and a fast cpu is a must.

Thanx for the help again ;D


If you don't wanna upgrade for a while, you'll be fine with 6 GB of RAM XD

A quad-core would do you fine too, six-cores will get WAY cheaper, believe me 16GB and six-core CPU is way overkill, it's unnecessary, you'd be keeping 16GB of RAM in there when you're only using like 3GB, just wears stuff out for no reason
October 14, 2010 10:46:00 PM

I trust the OP knows what his sound production software can use in terms of CPU and RAM. For a gaming build, 4 GB might be enough, but that's not what this is.
!