Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge worth looking at from an e8500?

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2011 6:40:17 AM

Hey all, I currently have an e8500 OC'ed to 4ghz, and I was wondering if you guys felt like sandy bridge was worth the upgrade. My main reason for wanting an upgrade is to get a quad core processor in the machine. I feel like games will soon predominantly use 4 threads, and I will start to notice a difference as this becomes the case. I realize that core2quads are an option, but that's talking about spending 200-250 dollars for a processor on a dead socket. I just don't think I can really justify that.

My video card is a GTX 260, clearly needs upgrading, probably more so than the processor, but I will take care of that. The processor/mobo/RAM upgrade is more time consuming, and I was gonna see if it would be worth it before I went the GPU route.

I had also thought of waiting on Bulldozer, but honestly, I have serious doubts that AMD matches intels offerings performance wise. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but that's just my gut based on the Core2, 1156, and 1155 stuff.

a c 78 à CPUs
January 8, 2011 7:15:02 AM

At this time, I don't think it is worth the upgrade. It sounds like you are still able to game to meet your needs. I would upgrade to a GTX 570 and wait on the platform update. Let the dust / pricing settle with Sandy Bridge and go from there. The Bulldozer will provide an interesting option but how it'll compete is still unknown. You should still be good till later this year before making the jump.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2011 8:10:03 AM

I'd agree with tecmo, upgrade your GPU at this time, wait till you start taking a solid performance hit with your E8500 before you spring for a new mobo, CPU and RAM.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
January 8, 2011 12:34:38 PM

Upgrade your video card 1st. It is the primary component that will give you better frame rates.
m
l
!