Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which is better nvidia or ati

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2010 12:51:06 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to build a new computer, but it has to last me a few years. So, I was wondering with technology as it is today, which DX-11 card is better? Which motherboard chip-set is better with the cards as well.

More about : nvidia ati

a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 28, 2010 12:53:03 AM

Both have their pros and cons, right now Nvidia has better Tesselation which is a DX11 feature, but it isn't just cut and dry, they are both good, and the best option for you depends on what motherboard you have, and what your budget/needs are.
Score

Best solution

August 28, 2010 1:17:09 AM

Right now in the moderate gamer market NVIDIA seems to have the edge. The GTX 460 at its current price is a better value than the similarly priced 5770. Performance benchmarks place it better and it isn't crippled by a design oversight like the 5770 (128-bit bus).

That is my only area of knowledge though, high end and low end cards I haven't looked into.
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 28, 2010 1:20:14 AM

guardianangel42 said:
Right now in the moderate gamer market NVIDIA seems to have the edge. The GTX 460 at its current price is a better value than the similarly priced 5770. Performance benchmarks place it better and it isn't crippled by a design oversight like the 5770 (128-bit bus).

That is my only area of knowledge though, high end and low end cards I haven't looked into.

I think you mean 5830, not 5770.
Score
August 28, 2010 1:26:06 AM

dailywalk365 said:
Hello,

I'm looking to build a new computer, but it has to last me a few years. So, I was wondering with technology as it is today, which DX-11 card is better? Which motherboard chip-set is better with the cards as well.

I kind of agree with Helltech, with the provisio that you could keep a weather eye out for your upgrade path, vis a vis any mobo purchase, the most important part of any computer is the psu,always get more than what you need, because most psu's just go and go, and next is the gpu,because to a certain extent they can go with you from system to system, more so the psu of course, the selection and purchase of a video card, well you could check out the Steam survey and see what is what or chase down reviews in your selected price range, besides you never know what you will stumble across...:) 
Score
September 7, 2010 10:43:53 AM

I was leaning to nVidea because of some benchmarks I seen using Heaven Benchmark. On a side by side I liked the slightly higher FPS and on some lighting issues it just looked better due to the sun reflections and glares. I think it handle light sources better. In dark scenes both ATI and nVidea rock the FPS, but in lighted scenes, nVidea rules.

Now I still need a response about the chipset on the motherboard. Or, Does it even matter?

Thanks to Helltech, dokk2 and gardianangle for your quick responses. I think I'm going to enjoy this forum.
Score
September 7, 2010 10:48:20 AM

Helltech said:
Both have their pros and cons, right now Nvidia has better Tesselation which is a DX11 feature, but it isn't just cut and dry, they are both good, and the best option for you depends on what motherboard you have, and what your budget/needs are.

Ahh, tesselation, yes....HUH?

From what I see tesselation is like adding layers to a scene the closer you get to the object, thus making it faster rendering in wide shot scenes and also adding more detail in close shot scenes. Is that close to being right?
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 10:53:55 AM

Yes that is a pretty summative description of tesselation. It shouldn't be the be all and end all of your choice though. The only NV card worth getting atm is the 460 which is a mid-range offering and can't compete with the enthusiast class 5850 and 5870 if you want that level of performance (remember, AMD's offerings tesselate too).

If you're looking around the 5770 / 5830 area then i would recommend the 1GB 460 as it bests both those cards in most things, it also has reasonable power consumption and if you pick the right card the fan doesn't go too loud under load.
Score
September 7, 2010 11:02:36 AM

which dx 11 card is better it depends on how you look at it.... for ati... i think their strong sides are they sell cheaper... runs cooler... and more power efficient than its competitor... their weaknesses... driver support not as reliable as their competitor...
weaker tessellation and AA performance... as for nvidia... they provides stable driver.. better dx11 performance... their downsides are they much more expensives... less power efficient and runs hotter....
Score
September 16, 2010 2:11:52 AM

Best answer selected by dailywalk365.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 16, 2010 2:16:06 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!