Auto restart after power outage

Hi-
I have an XP workstation that is running some server software. Can someone
tell me how I can set the Power to automatically restart after a power outage
- as soon as the power is returned????
I know this can be done... I just am not finding how! I did try the start
up and recovery setting - checked the box to Automatically restart, but that
did not seem to work???

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Cindy

--
Cindy B
5 answers Last reply

    While the other responses here are valid, you really
    should be looking at a big UPS to keep the thing
    up during an outage, if whatever it's doing is really
    that important.

    "Cindy B" <benedett@brainerd.net> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    > I have an XP workstation that is running some server software. Can
    someone
    > tell me how I can set the Power to automatically restart after a power
    outage
    > - as soon as the power is returned????
    > I know this can be done... I just am not finding how! I did try the start
    > up and recovery setting - checked the box to Automatically restart, but
    that
    > did not seem to work???
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!!!
    > Cindy
    >

    > --
    > Cindy B

    You need to check this PC's BIOS in order to see if it has an option to
    resume on power failure. Once the PC looses power, Windows XP is no longer
    running and you need to configure the BIOS to restart the PCs on power
    failures.

    "Cindy B" <benedett@brainerd.net> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    > I have an XP workstation that is running some server software. Can
    > someone
    > tell me how I can set the Power to automatically restart after a power
    > outage
    > - as soon as the power is returned????
    > I know this can be done... I just am not finding how! I did try the start
    > up and recovery setting - checked the box to Automatically restart, but
    > that
    > did not seem to work???
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!!!
    > Cindy
    >

    > --
    > Cindy B

    Hi,

    Cindy B wrote:
    > Can someone tell me how I can set the Power to automatically
    > restart after a power outage - as soon as the power is returned?

    This is not a Windows feature. On computers that support it, it's a BIOS
    setup option.

    If you are unfortunate enough to not have this feature, you can make it
    "always on" by grounding the pin 14 of the ATX power supply. The wire going
    to pin 14 is usually green. Cut it a couple inches from the motherboard's
    power connector (so that it can be reconnected if needed). Strip off some
    insulation from one the (usually black) wires going to the adjacent pins 13,
    15 - 17 without severing the wire itself; connect the power supply end of
    the green wire to it. Leave the motherboard end of the green wire open.

    --
    Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)
  4. Try this site http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn

    there are a lot of other ideas to do so
  5. arm.... this was posted 5 years ago, I assume it has been resolved by now.

Configuration Power Outage Windows XP