Lcd for Photoshop

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 8, 2005 5:24:00 PM

My aging Vivitron monitor has served me well for many years but I
would like to replace it with an LCD display. Sam's club has a nice
looking Samsung 913V. Does this monitor have what it takes to make
subtle picture adjustments in Photoshop?

Richard

More about : lcd photoshop

January 8, 2005 5:24:01 PM

Hi Richard!

I think I read a number of comments in different newsgroups that were not
favourable. Apparently, it has something to do with the fact that it doesn't
have pure black background (or something to that effect). This being said, I
use a Viewsonic 19 inch LCD screen and I am satisfied with the results.

Marcel

"Richard" <rstaples312@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My aging Vivitron monitor has served me well for many years but I
> would like to replace it with an LCD display. Sam's club has a nice
> looking Samsung 913V. Does this monitor have what it takes to make
> subtle picture adjustments in Photoshop?
>
> Richard
January 8, 2005 5:24:01 PM

Most LCD's are not good for photo editing. This is because of the
contrast which is usually boosted in all LCD monitors for brightness and
clarity. This is the reason almost all laptop screens are horrible for
critical image adjustments.

JR

In article <g7rvt0pd169p5kvbq9c9bqcsompn7l2bju@4ax.com>,
Richard <rstaples312@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My aging Vivitron monitor has served me well for many years but I
> would like to replace it with an LCD display. Sam's club has a nice
> looking Samsung 913V. Does this monitor have what it takes to make
> subtle picture adjustments in Photoshop?
>
> Richard
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2005 8:59:09 PM

JR wrote:

> Most LCD's are not good for photo editing. This is because of the
> contrast which is usually boosted in all LCD monitors for brightness and
> clarity. This is the reason almost all laptop screens are horrible for
> critical image adjustments.

I'll agree the average consumer LCD screen won't be as good as a
dedicated CRT..

I seem to manage decent image editing on my Samsung 192N.. I don't
feel unduly hampered. (If I was a stickler for detail and regularly
used a color spider to calibrate my screen I might have a different
view..

Most importantly, I don't ONLY edit images on my LCD screen. For all
other purposes, you'd have to pay me to use a CRT.. The contrast and
blacks just can't be beat on an LCD.

I guess the best of both worlds would be to use the LCD for day to day
computing, and get a CRT for image editing.

Also.. Most lower end laptop screens I've seen can't hold a candle to the
desktop LCD's I've seen when it comes to image quality. There's a
big difference between them. Don't base your view of LCD screens
on what you've seen on laptops.
!