Strange ATI 4800 Series Driver Issue (mobo related maybe?)

My graphics card works fine as far as I know (I am getting some game crashes), but I can't access the catalyst control center, and this is a big problem for me since I just got a new monitor, and I can't make use of the entire screen (right now it just uses about half the screen to display the image, and I am 100% sure it's a GPU issue, even contacted monitor support)

Ok so here is some information:
-Mother Board: MB GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3
-VGA SAPPHIRE 100265L HD4830 512M RT
-Using CD that came with graphics card
-Downloaded mobo drivers online
-Dual Monitor (1 DVI-DVI, 1 HDMI-DVI)
-Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
-Everything worked before, I have no idea at what point it stopped working

Steps I took to try to fix it:

ATTEMPT (entire package)
-Disabled automatic windows driver update
-Uninstalled ATI software in add or remove programs
-Uninstalled and deleted drivers from device manager
-Restarted my computer
-Installed from CD (vista version), installation finished with warnings (yet no warnings are shown though, I have a feeling this isn't the problem though), said it was successful
-Ran the repair stuff in the installer
-Restarted my computer

RESULTS
-Device manager says I still don't have a display driver, and my screen confirms this (resolution and other stuff is messed up)
-Add or remove programs shows that ATI software is installed
-When I right click the desktop I don't see a catalyst control center option
-When I try to install it again it says everything is installed already
-After this I just turn on automatic installation and windows 7 installs the driver and I can see things normally again (I still can't access the control center though)

ATTEMPT (just catalyst)
-Installed only the catalyst component, installation successful but with warnings (no warnings show up in the log though)
-Installation folder is empty, every time I try to install the catalyst install manager it says it wasn't installed previously and says installation was successful, but again the folder is empty

I really don't know what else to try, my best guess is it's mobo related but it will take me a long time to find and install the chipset, so I don't want to try it until I hear the opinions of some veterans XD.

I have already wasted quite a few hours on this so help would be VERY appreciated, I just want to get the control center working : (.

If you need any more information or screenshots or anything let me know, I'd be more than happy to provide them for you!
6 answers Last reply
More about strange 4800 series driver issue mobo related maybe
  1. Have you tried downloading and installing (after uninstalling the messed up drivers) the newest ATI drivers from AMD's website?

I have that MB by the way and have had no driver conflict issues, except if you uninstall the chipset drivers. Then all craziness occurs.
  2. Yes I forgot to mention this, my first try was with the latest drivers, same result.
  3. Try installing a fresh copy of windows and then download the latest drivers from AMD's site and see if it helps.
  4. O man it would take me at least a full days worth of work to do that, that's definitely not an option for me unfortunately.

EDIT: To re-iterate, everything graphics-wise is working right now, I just want to be able to access the catalyst control center
  5. So there's nothing I can do other than a clean re-install? No ideas : <?
  6. well i have the same problem the only way i got it work is install uninstall reinstall almost 10-20 time den d catalyst center opens and wrk
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics