Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GeForce 9800 GTX+ Freezing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2010 2:50:52 AM

I have a problem with my video card!
Its a PNY, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ and it will freeze just minutes into playing a game. The game will freeze, my screen will blink/flash a single time, at which point I can bring up the task manager and close the game without a problem, with my computer still running fine.
My computer specs are..

Windows XP 32-Bit
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33ghz
3328MB Ram
650w Power Supply
P5K Motherboard

It can't be overheating, I made sure of that. Could it be the drivers? When I took out my old card (A GeForce 8600GT) I didnt uninstall the drivers, and just put my new card in. But they used they same drivers anyways, and it didnt ask me to install the new card (??) and the resolution is supposed to revert back to a very small 800x600 normally, right? But it did not.

Also, to make sure its not the card itself, I installed the card in a friends computer. His specs are..

windows 7 32-bit
Intel Core 2 cpu 6600@ 2.4GHz
2GB Ram
750w Power Supply
And some crazy high-end motherboard.

Card worked fine in the same games that were freezing for me.

Please help!
a b Î Nvidia
August 28, 2010 9:45:12 AM

Its always recommended to completely remove the older card's drivers before installing a new card, so do a clean install of the latest driver,here is how
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on Nvidia and then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers after that you need to restart,and its done
Score
August 28, 2010 10:27:53 AM

I have done that.
I even went and put my old card back in, did the same thing, put in the new card and still nothing.

When I completely remove every trace of the driver my resolution still does not reset to a low color quality/resolution. Why is that? Something must be wrong there.
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 28, 2010 2:53:47 PM

Check the temps? It could be an overheating...
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 28, 2010 2:58:51 PM

Install a fresh copy of windows and see if it helps and yes, like wa1 said check your temps before doing it.
Score
August 28, 2010 3:10:47 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to wipe out my windows, which sucks since I would rather not. But I've cleaned out the drivers 3-4 times now, booting into safe mode and using driver sweeper to no avail. Also, the few minutes I can get of a game, the core temp on RivaTuner never rises above 50-55 degrees. Which I dont think would be cause for overheating.
Score
August 28, 2010 5:36:43 PM

Kill everything thats running in the background and sys tray such as AV, IM, dock apps etc... then try your game again. You never know, you may get lucky. Worth a try before a full reinstall.
Score
August 28, 2010 9:13:57 PM

Hey I was wondering if anyone more computer-savvy out there would be able to tell me if its my motherboard being incompatiable or something for my card.

I have an Asus P5K Mobo
Intel Chipset P35/G33/G31

Thanks.
Score
August 28, 2010 11:58:59 PM

Okay I just found the problem I believe. Now I just need help figuring it out. Please!

Heres a picture.

So as you can see, my GPU Usage randomly spikes up to 100%, which would cause it to freeze. Everything else seems normal. The GPU usage a bit before that I was trying a game, which I was able to following play through a match in. (Starcraft 2!) I then tabbed out in amazement that it wasnt freezing, tabbed back in annnnd it froze. After I got it minimized, thats what I saw. What could cause this?
Thanks!
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2010 9:36:43 AM

First of all your VGA is compatible with your motherboard.
If your CPU temps are fine too,then maybe your card is defective,so RMA it.
August 29, 2010 1:41:51 PM

What is RMA?

And also, I had it in my friends computer as well and it did not freeze up like that.

Thanks for the reply.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2010 2:18:51 PM

RMA is returning your card for warranty, but i forgot that it worked fine in your friend's system, What OS do you have ? XP SP2 or SP3 ?
Score
August 29, 2010 2:48:04 PM

Windows XP Professional
SP3.

If I leave the game frozen, after awhile it will unfreeze and the images will be very distorted, but it will be moving again. Dunno if that helps.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 29, 2010 6:09:05 PM

hmm,can you try a different OS ? like XP SP2 or Windows 7 ?
Score
August 29, 2010 9:26:13 PM

I did that actually. I did a complete fresh install of Windows 7. Did a driver install, used driver sweeper in Safe mode and still it gets the error, although windows 7 handles it much much better, it still blinks and has to reload up, saying the Nvidia kernel mode version 258.xx has stopped worked and successfully restarted.

So now I'm really lost. Even a format didnt work, so I guess that makes it a hardware problem.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 30, 2010 10:40:21 AM

It looks a defective card to me, but you mentioned it worked fine in your friend's PC, how much time did you tested your card in your friend's system ? because it may have been worked fine for few minutes but not for hours.
Score
August 31, 2010 10:26:18 AM

Any chance it could be faulty system ram ? If you are 100% sure your card works fine in another system, thats what I would look at next.
Score
October 9, 2010 2:12:55 AM

Best answer selected by mpeachy.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 9, 2010 7:39:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!