Sign in with
Your question

Up-grade over-kill

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2010 5:23:49 AM

Hello,
I am trying to build my 1st system and I am very new at it. It will be used for personal video processing and editing (no gaming). I will also be converting DVD's and VHS to Blue Ray. I'll also be watching TV on my HD monitor. I am planning to use the following configuration;
Intel C2Q CPU Q9550
ASUS P5Q3 MoBo
EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+
video card
WD1001FALS Hard Drive XCLIOWindtunnel full
size ATX case
HauppaugeWinTV HVR
1850 TV tuner
Windows7 Home Prem.
64 bit O.S.

More about : grade kill

a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2010 6:05:41 AM

Looks nice, but didn't mention ram. Only reason I mention it is for your purposes I would get 4 gigs.
Looks like you'll need a nice bluray burner. I would also get a blu ray reader as well. Get a good cache on both.

Why did you choose the XClio? It looks cheap, loud, and enormous. Most reviews I looked at said those gargantuan fans fail quickly and are expensive to replace. I think you can get a better deal at that price. I can't see why you';d need a full tower, maybe I'm mossing something..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2010 6:33:59 AM

I'll just warn you, I had a bad experience with the P5Q3; installed it on a system I built a year or two ago, and after a couple weeks, the Ethernet just stopped working for no apparent reason. After trying all manner of fixes, I called ASUS tech support, and they told me the error code I was getting indicated a plain old hardware failure, adding "off the record" that this seemed to be an ongoing problem with that particular board.

So, I would be wary of that -- and also, since I don't think they even make that board anymore, I would be doubly wary of buying what must be a used motherboard. That and the PSU are the only components I really never like to buy used; too many problems can come up if you get them secondhand.

Also, if you're building a system from scratch, I'd STRONGLY recommend getting a motherboard that supports USB 3.0. If you're doing heavy-duty video editing, that usually involves moving lots of large files around, and I can see all kinds of uses for a connection that goes 10 times faster than your typical USB 2.0 port. Not many USB 3.0 boards in LGA775, but I'd say this one si probably the best buy if you're not planning on using multiple video cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2010 6:58:12 PM

GreatDain said:
Hello,
I am trying to build my 1st system and I am very new at it. It will be used for personal video processing and editing (no gaming). I will also be converting DVD's and VHS to Blue Ray. I'll also be watching TV on my HD monitor. I am planning to use the following configuration;
Intel C2Q CPU Q9550
ASUS P5Q3 MoBo
EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+
video card
WD1001FALS Hard Drive XCLIOWindtunnel full
size ATX case
HauppaugeWinTV HVR
1850 TV tuner
Windows7 Home Prem.
64 bit O.S.

Do you already own these parts?
If not, why would you build a new system with outdated parts?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2010 9:22:31 PM

+1 to Geofelt's remarks

You will need a Blu-ray burner to burn to Blu-ray discs (unless you're talking about software conversion). You don't need a Blu-ray reader as well, since burners do read discs as well...

Why a full tower case? If you're not doing gaming (as stated), stick with a mid tower at the largest. I have my gaming stuff in an Antec 300 mid tower (only $50 - cheaper than the XClio) and am air cooling and get 32-35C CPU and GPU temps while idle (about 45 and 60 under load, respectively). For a computer like yours, this case will be more than perfect with a few added fans.
m
l
October 17, 2010 3:50:19 AM

buzznut said:
Looks nice, but didn't mention ram. Only reason I mention it is for your purposes I would get 4 gigs.
Looks like you'll need a nice bluray burner. I would also get a blu ray reader as well. Get a good cache on both.

Why did you choose the XClio? It looks cheap, loud, and enormous. Most reviews I looked at said those gargantuan fans fail quickly and are expensive to replace. I think you can get a better deal at that price. I can't see why you';d need a full tower, maybe I'm mossing something..

Thank you very much for the time and effort in your responce. Everyone who has answered has given me a reason to pause and re-think my choices. I made my choices based upon NewEgg ratings of consumer reviews. Based upon comments and opinions in this forum, that doesn't seem to have worked out too well. I guess I'll need to do more research. My expertise level at this is "novice". Thanks again for you advice!
GreatDain
m
l
October 17, 2010 4:00:47 AM

capt_taco said:
I'll just warn you, I had a bad experience with the P5Q3; installed it on a system I built a year or two ago, and after a couple weeks, the Ethernet just stopped working for no apparent reason. After trying all manner of fixes, I called ASUS tech support, and they told me the error code I was getting indicated a plain old hardware failure, adding "off the record" that this seemed to be an ongoing problem with that particular board.

So, I would be wary of that -- and also, since I don't think they even make that board anymore, I would be doubly wary of buying what must be a used motherboard. That and the PSU are the only components I really never like to buy used; too many problems can come up if you get them secondhand.

Also, if you're building a system from scratch, I'd STRONGLY recommend getting a motherboard that supports USB 3.0. If you're doing heavy-duty video editing, that usually involves moving lots of large files around, and I can see all kinds of uses for a connection that goes 10 times faster than your typical USB 2.0 port. Not many USB 3.0 boards in LGA775, but I'd say this one si probably the best buy if you're not planning on using multiple video cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Captain, I really thank you for your time,effort, opinions, and suggestions. My expertise level at this is "novice". My selections were based upon NewEgg customer review ratings. You have given me several things to reconsider. Thanks again.
GreatDain
m
l
!