Windows 98SE..Won't Install!!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 2:36:25 AM

I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which came
pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which only runs on
Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a tried and tested
version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the point where it restarts
and then searches for plug and play devices, at which point it just freezes.

Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if so
how do I do it?

The spec of the laptop is:

AMD Athlon 2500+
256MB DDR.
40GB HD

TIA.

More about : windows 98se install

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 2:54:23 AM

In news:ZdjEd.872$0n1.449@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net "T Soprano"
<Tony@Bada.Bing> wrote:

> I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
> came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
> only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a
> tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the
> point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play devices, at
> which point it just freezes.
>
> Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if
> so how do I do it?

It's been a while since I've installed Win98 on any machine, but I recall
that just before it started the scan for plug-and-pray devices it popped
up a warning that the machine might hang, and had suggestions of what to
do if it did.

Did you get that warning? Did you follow the suggestions?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com
Anonymous

"Bert Hyman" <bert@visi.com> wrote in message
> In news:ZdjEd.872$0n1.449@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net "T Soprano"
> <Tony@Bada.Bing> wrote:
>
> > I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
> > came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
> > only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a
> > tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the
> > point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play devices, at
> > which point it just freezes.
> >
> > Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if
> > so how do I do it?
>
> It's been a while since I've installed Win98 on any machine, but I recall
> that just before it started the scan for plug-and-pray devices it popped
> up a warning that the machine might hang, and had suggestions of what to
> do if it did.
>
> Did you get that warning? Did you follow the suggestions?

No I didn't get any kind of warning, it just gets to the bit where it
searches for plug and play devices and then holds there, i've even left it
for a coupe of hours then when i've got back its still on same screen!
If I reboot it lets me start in safe mode, but obviously theres no devices
or drivers loaded so I can't really do anything. I checked in the BIOS to
see if I could disable plug & play. But theres no option for it. The BIOS
version is - PHEONIX 1.09.
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 11:41:12 AM

T Soprano wrote:
> I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
> came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
> only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling
> a tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until
> the point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play
> devices, at which point it just freezes.
>
> Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if
> so how do I do it?
>
> The spec of the laptop is:
>
> AMD Athlon 2500+
> 256MB DDR.
> 40GB HD
>
> TIA.

First, WinXP has an emulation mode to handle programs that need a
particular OS to run. Right-click the executable, properties, select
the compatibility tab, select the OS for compatibility mode for that
app.

Second, Win9x probably does not recognize what it is seeing in the BIOS
for a WinXP computer. Certainly it does not recognized the CPU, much of
the PCI bus, RAM, USB, etc. You will not find even the most basic
drivers for most of the devices, if the installation will get that far,
which is doubtful.

January 10, 2005 3:23:02 PM

If you solve this problem and get 98SE installed,
please send details here. I want to install 98SE
on my new Inspiron 700m lightweight laptop but
have been told by Dell that drivers are not
available.

chuck
January 11, 2005 12:57:43 AM

Quaoar <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
: T Soprano wrote:
: > I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
: > came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
: > only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling
: > a tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until
: > the point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play
: > devices, at which point it just freezes.
: >
[...]

My old Win 98 Computer (recently donated to a friend) recognizes USB
and PCI bus just fine. Shoot, even Win 95 recognized the PCI bus.
It might be hard to drivers for 98 for the chipset controllers and
such, but that's only because the chipset manufacturer didn't bother
to write them.mm

But I do wonder why the rush to dump XP in favor of 98? My experience
with Win 98 was awful - it crashed constantly. I have XP on my laptop
and on my mom's computer and I am quite pleased with it - it's very
reliable and stable. If people are trying to use specific software, I
would try other methods to get it running first before taking the
radical, backwards step of installing Win 98!

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Andrew wrote:
> Quaoar <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
>> T Soprano wrote:
>>> I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
>>> came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
>>> only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried
>>> reinstalling a tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it
>>> installs ok up until the point where it restarts and then searches
>>> for plug and play devices, at which point it just freezes.
>>>
>>> Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and
>>> if so how do I do it?
>>>
>>> The spec of the laptop is:
>>>
>>> AMD Athlon 2500+
>>> 256MB DDR.
>>> 40GB HD
>>>
>>> TIA.
>
>> First, WinXP has an emulation mode to handle programs that need a
>> particular OS to run. Right-click the executable, properties, select
>> the compatibility tab, select the OS for compatibility mode for that
>> app.
>
>> Second, Win9x probably does not recognize what it is seeing in the
>> BIOS for a WinXP computer. Certainly it does not recognized the
>> CPU, much of the PCI bus, RAM, USB, etc. You will not find even
>> the most basic drivers for most of the devices, if the installation
>> will get that far, which is doubtful.
>
> My old Win 98 Computer (recently donated to a friend) recognizes USB
> and PCI bus just fine. Shoot, even Win 95 recognized the PCI bus.
> It might be hard to drivers for 98 for the chipset controllers and
> such, but that's only because the chipset manufacturer didn't bother
> to write them.mm
>
> But I do wonder why the rush to dump XP in favor of 98? My experience
> with Win 98 was awful - it crashed constantly. I have XP on my laptop
> and on my mom's computer and I am quite pleased with it - it's very
> reliable and stable. If people are trying to use specific software, I
> would try other methods to get it running first before taking the
> radical, backwards step of installing Win 98!
>
> Andrew

The OP is not writing about an old computer and a new OS; he's writing
about a *new computer and an *old OS that has no support for any
hardware with design and protocols developed years *after the OS was
released (unless by some stroke of magic the vendor has provided drivers
for this singularly irrelevant OS).

a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 7:03:09 AM

The real translation of that is "drivers are not available from Dell".
They may, or may not, be available from other sources, but it can take
days and days to track them down, even if they do exist.

chuck wrote:
> If you solve this problem and get 98SE installed,
> please send details here. I want to install 98SE
> on my new Inspiron 700m lightweight laptop but
> have been told by Dell that drivers are not
> available.
>
> chuck
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 4:25:15 PM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 7:18:43 PM

Cyclops wrote:
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 14, 2005 4:07:22 PM

Cyclops wrote:

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Angry American wrote:
snip

> The CPU also needs drivers for stepping and full support for the level of
> ACPI, 98 probably will not recognize and use the hardware properly. 98 by
> itself will not recognize USB 2.0 either, without a patch. To fully utilize
> CPU stepping and power management, you will need XP, 98 may work, but you
> will have shorter battery life, and probably will not be able to use the CPU
> effectively.
>

>>- --
>>David Wade Hagar AKA Cyclops

Tell me more about this patch needed for USB2.0 in 98SE?
I've been unsuccessfull getting my IOGEAR USB2.0 card to work in 98SE.
Thanks, mike
January 21, 2005 9:52:54 PM

T Soprano wrote:
> I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which came
> pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which only runs on
> Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a tried and tested
> version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the point where it restarts
> and then searches for plug and play devices, at which point it just freezes.
>
> Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if so
> how do I do it?
>
> The spec of the laptop is:
>
> AMD Athlon 2500+
> 256MB DDR.
> 40GB HD
>
> TIA.

I was in the same boat until I found a utility to let me have port
access in XP. Now all my old stuff runs except stuff that addresses the
file system directly, like norton and ghost utilities like that.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:22:13 GMT, "T Soprano" <Tony@Bada.Bing> wrote:

>"Bert Hyman" <bert@visi.com> wrote in message
>> In news:ZdjEd.872$0n1.449@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net "T Soprano"
>> <Tony@Bada.Bing> wrote:
>>
>> > I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
>> > came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
>> > only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a
>> > tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the
>> > point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play devices, at
>> > which point it just freezes.
snip

It may be that you have a bad sector at a point that W98 access the
next piece of data.

FDISK it again and reformat and see what happens

MG

**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending -thanks!!
January 22, 2005 12:27:38 AM

For what it's worth:

When you buy WinXP installed it usuallly runs on the NTFS,
Win98 likes to run on FAT32.

Are you sure it properly formatted to FAT32?

Once the drive is formatted to NTFS you need a lowlevel-format utility
to get it back to FAT32, but even then, sometimes it just will not go
back...

Good luck,
Pippa.

"MG" <100550.3170@compuserve.com> schreef in bericht
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:22:13 GMT, "T Soprano" <Tony@Bada.Bing> wrote:
>
> >"Bert Hyman" <bert@visi.com> wrote in message

> snip
>
> It may be that you have a bad sector at a point that W98 access the
> next piece of data.
>
> FDISK it again and reformat and see what happens
>
> MG
>
> **REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending -thanks!!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 12:27:39 AM

JS wrote:
> For what it's worth:
>
> When you buy WinXP installed it usuallly runs on the NTFS,
> Win98 likes to run on FAT32.
>
> Are you sure it properly formatted to FAT32?
>
> Once the drive is formatted to NTFS you need a lowlevel-format utility
> to get it back to FAT32, but even then, sometimes it just will not go
> back...
>
> Good luck,
> Pippa.

Good call...I've wondered about that...also there may be some hardware in
the machine that is too new for W98 to deal with. I've thought about
'reverting' my Gateway M305 to Win98, but I doubt if W98 drivers even exist
for some of the motherboard devices.

Perhaps the OP could find a copy of Windows 2000.....

jak

> "MG" <100550.3170@compuserve.com> schreef in bericht
>> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:22:13 GMT, "T Soprano" <Tony@Bada.Bing> wrote:
>>
>>> "Bert Hyman" <bert@visi.com> wrote in message

>> snip
>>
>> It may be that you have a bad sector at a point that W98 access the
>> next piece of data.
>>
>> FDISK it again and reformat and see what happens
>>
>> MG
>>
>> **REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending
>> -thanks!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 12:27:39 AM

JS wrote:
> For what it's worth:
>
> When you buy WinXP installed it usuallly runs on the NTFS,
> Win98 likes to run on FAT32.

Windows 98 will not run on NTFS, as a matter of fact it wont even recognize
an NTFS partition, much less install on one.

> Are you sure it properly formatted to FAT32?
>
> Once the drive is formatted to NTFS you need a lowlevel-format utility
> to get it back to FAT32, but even then, sometimes it just will not go
> back...

You do not need to low level format a drive to get "back" to fat32. All you
have to do is wipe the NTFS partition, then partition using fat32. There is
no magic too it.

Dan
January 22, 2005 2:26:37 AM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:36:25 +0000, T Soprano wrote:

> I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
> came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
> only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a
> tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the
> point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play devices, at
> which point it just freezes.
>
> Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if so
> how do I do it?
>
> The spec of the laptop is:
>
> AMD Athlon 2500+
> 256MB DDR.
> 40GB HD
>
> TIA.

Would you get away with running 98 in MS Virtual PC ?
--
TimW
Anonymous

Some of these posts make no sense.

98 will run in virtual PC, but anything that won't run under XP probably
won't run under 98 under virtual PC under XP.

There are relatively few situations in which XP is not significantly
superior to both 98 and 2000. There are lots of people who don't like
XP "OUT OF THE BOX" for various "user interface" reasons. However, what
they are missing is that the user interface of XP is so highly
configurable that you can fairly easily make XP look so much like either
98 or 2000 that you have to go into Control Panel/system to see which OS
is actually running. XP can be made to look and work almost EXACTLY
like either 98 or 2000. The configurability is there, although it's
somewhat scattered, hidden and requires Tweakui, a component that
doesn't come with XP (but it's a free Microsoft download).

Overall, XP is FAR better than either 98 or 2000.

!