Power Supply grounding issues?

aurondud3

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
I've had really strange issues with my PSU, a Raidmax RX-700AC. It started when, after about three days of use, the power supply would not shut off. I checked issues with the bios, and then discovered that, sometimes, the power supply would shut off with the computer. Other times, the PSU would shut off, only to start up again by itself when the rest of the computer was turned off. Interestingly enough, I think its a grounding issue. This is because as long as the PSU is plugged in and switched on, it will automatically turn on the second it comes into contact with my case. If I remove it from the case altogether and set it on a wood surface, it will not turn on by itself, so I don't think its an issue with the on/off wiring as some other forum posts mentioned.

So my question is: is this an issue with the internal wiring? Should I try to get Raidmax to send me a replacement? Or did I possibly make some mistake on my own part?

Again, I have never even heard of this issue until I encountered it. Thanks in advance.

Also: Not sure if this is an important note or not, but when my power supply stays on, it continues to power all of the case's fans (including the fan on the processor), which I suppose means that power is still running through the mobo even though the computer is off.

aurondud3

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
Some additional information:
When my power supply won't shut off with my computer, the only possible way to shut it off is to unplug it or flip the switch. However the second I plug it back in or flip the switch again, it turns back on. Its gotten to the point where, just to boot up my computer, I have to open up my case, put pieces of plastic at the base and sides of the PSU, flip the PSU switch (and hope it doesn't automatically turn on), then start my computer.

aurondud3

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011

I feared it was something like that. I'm not too familiar with Newegg's policy (I've built three computers with parts almost entirely from them and never once have I had something break on me in the first week of use). Thanks again for the help.