"This device can perform faster"

WorldBeFree

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I get this error message when ever I boot up the computer. I have multiple ext. hdd's connected to the computer thru powered (supposedly 2.0) usb hubs. So I go to device manager and all the hubs and hdd's are in bold letters and the ports on the computer (also adding usb port pc boards on the pci buss) are in light letters. I have been told that the bold letters indicate high speed and the lighter letters indicate slow speed. Correct? But since everything on the computer connected to PCI buss(max. speed 33Mbs or pci-express(possible 66Mbs) would by definition be "slow speed", does this error message have any real meaning? Are all computers. by this standard, "slow speed"? Not a real crucial question , but it bugs me. What's the answer?

Solution
A USB 1.0 device (particularly an external or flash drive) plugged into a USB 2.0 port will also give this message.
That message popped up for me when I had a USB 3.0 external drive plugged into a USB 2.0 port instead of an available USB 3.0 port. I had my USB 2.0 printer connected to the USB 3.0 port.

Once I switched connections the error message went away.

WorldBeFree

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
That's an interesting point. I have 3 computers networked together and connected together with with a 3-way usb switch. This connects all 3 with a mouse, keyboard, printer (slow speed) . Now the slow speed devices are connected to one of the computers with a non-powered(slow) usb hub. When I replaced the non-powered hub with a powered hub I no longer get the error message and Device Manager shows that all of the usb connections are now in bold point(this supposedly means high speed). Problem solved. I guess this means that if you have a non-powered hub anywhere in your network, that it will "contaminate" the whole system and cause the whole kit&Bootle to run slow. Thanks for the tip, have to rewire system for the new port.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

You can disable this if you want.

Follow these directions. Though these directions are specific to Windows 7, I am reasonably sure that they apply to any version of windows.

I have disabled them on my PCs. Freedom, at last. :D