Sign in with
Your question

External Drive Problem please help

Last response: in Storage
January 22, 2013 12:27:17 AM

Hi guys recently I tried plugging my Hitachi 2TB external drive on my xbox to use 16GB (xbox's maximum storage on a external device) of my hard drive to store things from my xbox, but whent i said configure it started a formatting process so I unplugged before it started. When I replugged it on my PC it didn't recognised it and when I re-initialized it and set it on J: it said the file system was RAW instead of NTSF and the PC says I need to format the hard drive. Is there a way I won't need to fromat it because I have plenty of photo's videos and over 200go of files that are lost if I format it .. PLEASE HELP ME

BTW: sorry for my bad english :S :) 

More about : external drive problem

a c 110 G Storage
January 22, 2013 12:39:01 PM

Try using testdisk, it could recover the partition data off the drive. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Don't store files you only have in one place on an external drive, keep the files on your computer and use the external as a backup.
m
l
January 22, 2013 7:56:13 PM

How do I use it to recover my files ?
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:29:55 AM

Don't worry! RAW format problem is not a serous problem. You could easily fix it as long as you take the right measures:
1. Do not format your drive before you have recovered all your data back.
2. Download a RAW drive recovery freeware to save your data back. There are plenty of recovery tools on the webs. You should carefully select a trustworthy one to get back your data.
3. Preview you recovered data to see whether it is recovered rightly.
4. Save your recovered data on a different drive in case of data loss.
5. Format this drive to return its previous NTFS file system, not RAW.
Note: Back up your important data regularly on a different drives or partitions in the future.
m
l
!