High pitched whine

Broodmdh

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
My computer began to emit a high pitched whine recently. I wasn't sure which component it was coming from, and it persisted even when I had shut the computer down. The only way I could get it to stop was to physically shut down the power supply (via the switch on the back). This leads me to think the power supply is the culprit, but I'm not sure why it's making this noise. Is it a sign that it's dying? I wanted to be sure before I replaced it. Any thoughts?

Solution
Run it with the side off and pinpoint where its coming from.

Yes it could mean your psu is about to fail but make sure that is where the noise is coming from 1st.

What psu do you have and whats the rest of your setup?
Run it with the side off and pinpoint where its coming from.

Yes it could mean your psu is about to fail but make sure that is where the noise is coming from 1st.

What psu do you have and whats the rest of your setup?

Solution

Broodmdh

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I'll give that a shot. I've got an old P4 3.0 ghz, 4gb ram on an Asus P5P800 in an old Antec case. The psu is the one that came with the case, but I can't remember the specs at the moment. Nothing special, and it's getting pretty old, but I'm hoping that it's nothing more serious than the psu. I don't have the money for a serious upgrade.

shovenose

Distinguished
you could try to get your old one fixed. its not too tricky and it would be a good learning experience. and itll be cheaper and better for the environment to get it fixed. if you want to do that, head over to my site, if not, then beanoslim's suggestion is good.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I had the exact same problem with an old P4 of mine own, in fact. The whine got unbearable after awhile. Swapped out the PSU for a new one and all my problems went away. Its not terribly expensive, and it will help ensure the rest of the parts in your computer. Hope the new PSU takes care of it.