Transferring files from HDD to HDD

Rioisbeast

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Hi I am building a new PC and I am upgrading my HDD to a WD Caviar Black 1tb from a 600gb Hitachi HDD. I cant find anywhere how to transfer windows 7 and all of my files from one drive to the other. I will be building a completely new PC to go along with the new HDD. Any help with how to go about doing this would be much appreciated.

My build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yD5a

Solution
OEM just like in the auto industry mean Original Equipment Manufacturer. Windows is cheaper as an OEM license under the agreement that it will be installed on ONE board and left on that board til the end of time.

Even with a sector by sector clone, It will just blue screen or say windows is invalid.

You can get a DVD ISO image for Win7 here. If you plan to try, a fresh install is best
http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

It is a legal issue and you may have to call MS if you TRY to activate the copy of windows again. But lets say for some reason your old board died(damn you power power surge) and the replacement was different, they may just let you activate again. No promise here.

This is no...
You can pull the old Copy + Paste if you just want to pick certain folders or files.

I do not thing you will want to clone the drive if you are changing hardware as you will most likely get a blue screen error without a clean windows install.

Best option may be to install Windows on the new drive and get your updates. Once that is done, connect the old drive and copy over files you want to keep(Personal files.game saves,bookmarks ect.).

Once you have all you need, you can just format the old drive and use it for storage or keep it as a backup for the files it contains.

You may get some permission denied errors(when trying to get into <drive letter>:\users\<your log-in name>\). If you do you just need to take ownership of the drive(or the folder since it is faster) from its security tab under Properties(right from your Computer or Explorer window).

humphreybot

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
We highly, HIGHLY reccommend you don't clone a drive when you're making a new build.

When windows installs, it's drivers and licence are tied to the motherboard and other parts - if you try to just copy the entire installation, you could get a driver error that prevents you from booting, or you could just get windows telling you your copy of windows is not genuine.

Do a fresh install and copy-paste the files and folders you want, then re-install programs.

Just use the Windows DVD to install it.(keep the old drive and other drives disconnected while installing)

For legal reasons, OEM copies of windows are to be kept with the first activated motherboard. Retail copies may be freely moved from system to system as long as it is only installed on ONE system at a given time.

This is not to say installing an OEM on another board will not work. Just not quite legal and if you try to keep it on 2 systems at the same time bad things may happen for sure.

Rioisbeast

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Ok well I looked into it and I think I have an OEM copy as it came with a pre built computer from best buy. So how do I go about tranfering an OEM coppy of windows 7 if I dont have the disk it came on?

Bertram_Van_Munster

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

You will have to buy a new windows 7 oem or full retail version for the new hard drive.

Bertram_Van_Munster

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Its a builders kit version of the operating system. It is cheaper than the full retail version, but is tied into the motherboard. Meaning that you cannot transfer that version of windows to another system with a different motherboard. The exception would be if you had a problem with a motherboard and could possibly get it re-activated with a replacement board.

Since you bought your computer with it pre-installed, it is the OEM version. Meaning that it is tied to your current motherboard.

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

You could try to use some disk clone software which enables you sector-by-sector clone all your file from old disk to the new disk.
here is a video tutoral about this ,hope it could help you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZEfpi9uRgI

OEM just like in the auto industry mean Original Equipment Manufacturer. Windows is cheaper as an OEM license under the agreement that it will be installed on ONE board and left on that board til the end of time.

Even with a sector by sector clone, It will just blue screen or say windows is invalid.

You can get a DVD ISO image for Win7 here. If you plan to try, a fresh install is best
http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

It is a legal issue and you may have to call MS if you TRY to activate the copy of windows again. But lets say for some reason your old board died(damn you power power surge) and the replacement was different, they may just let you activate again. No promise here.

This is no way a recommendation of the Tom's Hardware forum(board failure claim) just something that has been noticed in the past.

Solution