ASUS Sabertooth P67 VGA Light on + No Video

ajhoward

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Hi Everyone,

When I first built the pc, the video card wasn't detected.The vga and boot light came on and the video card fan was going flat out. So I updated the bios to 1802, the latest non beta release. It seemed to fix the issue and was working fine, then it went into standby and wouldn't start up. I managed to get it start eventually by leaving for awhile or reboot a few times. Now even that doesn't work. The vga light just lights up and have a blank screen. However I have another video card a EN8600GT, which when I swap it over works perfectly every time, except for the standby issue.

Here what I have tried:

Disabled pll over voltage
Checked the power supply - checked out ok
Reseated video card and ram
Checked all power connections (Motherboard 24 and 8pin and Pci Express)
Cleaned the pci express slot and the video card slot
Reset CMOS - Caused boot failure
Checked current video card in another pc - checked out ok
Installed MSE Standby Tool - Didn't show anything in the logfile

The only things I can think of to do is get a motherboard speaker, which is on it way and to breadboard the computer to check for shorts, which I really don't want to do. I have sent a inquiry to asus and am waiting for there reply.

Here are my computer details:

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3
CPU: Intel i7 2600 3.4Ghz
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
RAM: Corsair Vengence 1600 Low Profile 16GB (CML16GX3M4A1600C9)
HARD DISK: 2 x WD Caviar Black SATA3 2TB RAID 1 (WD2002FAEX)
PSU: Corsair HX-850
VIDEO CARD: Sapphire HD 4850 Vapor-X
CASE: Corsair 600TM

madtech01

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
The standby issue is well known with the P67 chipset motherboards.
It has to do with overclocking witch the Sabertooth P67 will auto overclock your RAM if you let it, to get rid of the Standby issue you have to disable all overclocking on the motherboard and that will solve that issue.

And you may have a bad Graphics card from the info I can see. I used a Gigabyte GTX 580 and it works every time, not saying you need to buy that monster of a card but trying out a new video card might not hurt to much the HD 4850 is a little dated. might want to try an HD6000 or GTX 500 series graphics card to fix that issue.

ajhoward

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, I am looking at getting another video card later but I don't play games much and will be using this for awhile. I have another video card a Asus 8600GT that works fine, however it doesn't require pci x power. I changed the PSU with the current video card and it works fine, am using it now.

I sent the PSU back and they confirmed that the pcix supply was faulty, however after I got the new one and plugged it in I got the same issue with the vga led. So I sent it back again only for them to say that it is not faulty, showing me pictures of it working on there test rig.

So when I get it back I am going to try setting up the pc outside of the case, maybe trying to fit the rubber inlay to my Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler to see if it is shorting (even though the instructions say that 1555 pin CPUs don't need it), and possibly doing away with the Asus Q connectors, try putting the video card and PSU into another pc, but apart from that I am a bit stumped at what to do next.

I will say one thing though, changing the power supply resolved the standby issue for me.