Temp question: I7 950 and Cooler Master V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyos

Distinguished
My I7 950 with the Cooler Master V8 heatsink/fan attatched idle's at 29-34C, and under FULL load with Prime95 caps out at 63C for about an hour of running.

Are these temps reasonable? I only ask because the heatsink was 60 bucks and was expecting more out of it, but I have read that I7's can run a tad hot.

Also, I have a case cooling question if I may:

This is the case I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011

The fan on the back of the case blows air in (Directly on CPU). Would I have better airflow if I reverse it and have it blow air out of the case? (currently I have no fans blowing air OUT of the case, just IN)

Thank you in advance :)

Solution
Yes those temps are good not unusual to see prime95 temps go into the low 70°C for the I7.
Normal setup is air in on the front and/or side but out on the back, so reversing the fan on the back would be recommended.

Xyos

Distinguished

Ah ok Ill give it a try. Thank you :)

Xyos

Distinguished
Idle temps were about 27-29C, and under full load 58-60C. Switching the case fan on the back gave around 3-4C difference. Not a huge difference, but still nice. :)

Thank you for the help rolli :)

I am going to disagree. Those temps are good on an overclocked processor but not one running at stock speeds....and you didn't mention anything about overclocking. We OC's my son's box 40% and it's in the hi 50's on a Megahalems. So unless you forgot to mention that, my concern would be that with temps at 63 already, you only have about 9C of overclocking room..... check your CPU voltage. Here's a guide for setting up a 950

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081220191040237&board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

And yes, all fans blowing in has them fighting each other

Xyos

Distinguished
The voltage is set to auto. It isnt overclocked, but I might overclock it in the future. Right now I have no use for it since I only do games and 3D modeling. Maybe if Crysis 2 is Crazy CPU intensive or can benefit from it I will.

What would you recommend to reduce my temps? I always second guess my application of thermal paste, maybe thats the problem?

Ive read alot about different ways to apply thermal paste, but what way is the best? The rice grain method without spreading and just applying the heatsink on, or spreading it out before placing the heatsink? I think I might of over-applied the paste, could that be the problem?

Anyway thank you for that link. Ill make sure to save it for when I overclock. Right now I just want to make sure this V8 cooler isnt crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.