Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do i put ny ram in dual channel mode?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 8, 2011 6:46:18 PM

I have 2 sticks of ram and i am trying to put them in dual channel mode. Usually in the P.O.S.T it would tell you its in dual channel but my motherboard doesnt display that. I have a MSI 785GMM-P45 motherboard.
January 8, 2011 6:54:23 PM

Your motherboard manual should indicate which RAM slots you need to insert your memory into in order to run in dual channel mode. The motherboard should do the rest and it should automatically run in dual channel provided you have them in the appropriate slots.
m
0
l
January 8, 2011 7:21:38 PM

moody89 said:
Your motherboard manual should indicate which RAM slots you need to insert your memory into in order to run in dual channel mode. The motherboard should do the rest and it should automatically run in dual channel provided you have them in the appropriate slots.

It saids to insert in different DIMM slots which i dide. The motherboard manual or board itself doesnt label DIMM1 - 4 so how do i know which is 1 , 2, 3 and 4?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 8, 2011 7:26:04 PM

As far as I know on the majority of motherboards, you can assume the slot closest to the CPU is DIMM1.
m
0
l
January 8, 2011 7:35:58 PM

Usually the slot closest to the CPU is slot 1. The dual channel would be slots 1 and 3. They will be color coded...make sure you match colors
m
0
l
January 8, 2011 7:38:39 PM

Are they colored, if they are seperate colors the ones with the same color are banks, and you need to put the ram in banks for dual channel, otherwise you will need to read the manual more carefully, most manuals have a section dedicated to dual channel.
m
0
l
January 8, 2011 8:10:46 PM

japps2 said:
Usually the slot closest to the CPU is slot 1. The dual channel would be slots 1 and 3. They will be color coded...make sure you match colors

yes they are color coded. So i would put them on the black ones? Two blue ones and two black ones like this:

m
0
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 8, 2011 8:15:16 PM

Use the two black ones. They are labeled DIMM1 and DIMM2 according to MSI's slot labeling convention and Dual-Channel mode Population Rule.
m
0
l
January 8, 2011 9:20:34 PM

ko888 said:
Use the two black ones. They are labeled DIMM1 and DIMM2 according to MSI's slot labeling convention and Dual-Channel mode Population Rule.

i did that and it still doesnt say dual channel. It saids unganged mode 64bit. Is there any software that can tell me if its in dual channel?
m
0
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 8, 2011 9:24:36 PM

CPU-Z. Click on the Memory tab.
m
0
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 8, 2011 9:46:56 PM

fpsblue said:
i did that and it still doesnt say dual channel. It saids unganged mode 64bit. Is there any software that can tell me if its in dual channel?

Dual-channel was originally conceived as a way to maximize memory throughput by combining two 64-bit buses into a single 128-bit bus. This is retrospectively called the "ganged" mode.

Modern implementations of dual-channel use the "unganged" mode by default, which maintains two 64-bit memory buses but allows independent access to each channel, in support of multithreading with multi-core processors. This is what you're seeing.
m
0
l
January 8, 2011 9:49:18 PM

Dual Channel doesn't do much anyways, so don't expect (or look for) your performance to jump when you get it right.
m
0
l
January 8, 2011 9:58:57 PM

Quote:
Because the two modules are accessed at the same time, they must be identical (same capacity, same timings and same clock rate).
So are they

yes they are the same. i install cpu-z and it saids channel #: dual. SO that means i have dual channel?
m
0
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
January 8, 2011 10:00:44 PM

fpsblue said:
yes they are the same. i install cpu-z and it saids channel #: dual. SO that means i have dual channel?

It certainly does. Dual-Channel Unganged mode.
m
0
l
!