I have 2 500GB HDD, but can only access 1

spaztazticii

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I acquired a computer a while ago from somebody because they crashed it. I then re-installed windows 7 onto it and it works fine now. Although, I physically have 2 500GB HDD and can only access 1 of them from My Computer. I was wondering if there were a way to make this drive accessible as I am nearing critical mass on the 1 I have. I have checked all connections and all cords are plugged in. It just does not read the second HDD as ANYTHING. Could somebody please help me activate it?

SZ939

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Also make sure the 2 drives were not configured as a RAID 0/1 pair, because that would allow you to see only one drive. Many two bay Laptops allow this feature in the BIOS. Desktop PCs would require a RAID Controller Card.

One other thing you could try to test the second HDD would be to shutdown the PC and Boot of of only the Drive in question by removing the functional one. The BIOS would then tell you whether the drive is defective or not. Also, as previously mentioned, if the HDDs are IDE, check the Jumpers before testing the inoperative drive.

spaztazticii

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Ok so my Bios says it exists but it doesn't have any capacity. It is a desktop computer, and I have restarted the computer with the working drive unplugged and I get an error. Could you walk me through initializing the drive from Disk Management. ( I don't know where it is.)

spaztazticii

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I've gone into my Disk Management and it says "Disk 0...Unknown...Not Initialized". I then right click on it to initialize it and i got a message saying " The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."