We have locked down our workstations quite heavily, and also our laptop
users, so much so that they cannot add a local printer. What we would like
to be able to do is for the user to be able to add local printers but
nothing else.

Can anyone help on what permissions would need to be set for this?

Installing Local Printers:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdl_pif_nfrr.asp

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Neil Shirley" <neils@nospam.complete-it.co.uk> wrote in message
> We have locked down our workstations quite heavily, and also our laptop
> users, so much so that they cannot add a local printer. What we would
> like to be able to do is for the user to be able to add local printers but
> nothing else.
>
> Can anyone help on what permissions would need to be set for this?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I looked at this link and made the changes to the local users group. Then
added Domain users to the local group and wasn't able to get user to add
printers?

User logs in and does add printer wizard and the local printer option is
grayed out?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Dan

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Installing Local Printers:
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdl_pif_nfrr.asp
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Neil Shirley" <neils@nospam.complete-it.co.uk> wrote in message
> > We have locked down our workstations quite heavily, and also our laptop
> > users, so much so that they cannot add a local printer. What we would
> > like to be able to do is for the user to be able to add local printers but
> > nothing else.
> >
> > Can anyone help on what permissions would need to be set for this?

"To install local printer drivers, you must be a member of the Power User or
Administrator group and have permission to Load and unload device drivers."

So you added then to Administrators group (local) or Power Users?

Lots of discussion on this topic. See:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22local+printer%22+grayed

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

>I looked at this link and made the changes to the local users group. Then
> added Domain users to the local group and wasn't able to get user to add
> printers?
>
> User logs in and does add printer wizard and the local printer option is
> grayed out?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> -Dan
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Installing Local Printers:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdl_pif_nfrr.asp
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Neil Shirley" <neils@nospam.complete-it.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > We have locked down our workstations quite heavily, and also our laptop
>> > users, so much so that they cannot add a local printer. What we would
>> > like to be able to do is for the user to be able to add local printers
>> > but
>> > nothing else.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help on what permissions would need to be set for this?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I read the posting you pointed me to and I thank you but wasn’t able to find
any that addressed my issue. There were a lot!

Can you answer these so I understand?

1. Windows XP, a user that is a member of the local users group and NOT a
member of the ADMIN or POWER USERS group can’t add local printers?

2. How about this one? Windows XP, a user that is a member of the local
users group and NOT a member of the ADMIN or POWER USERS group but is a part
of the load and unload device drivers local security setting can they add
printers? (Shouldn’t this work?) ( Tested this one and the local printer
option is still grayed out, why?)

Goal = We need to have our remote users just be users in Windows XP but be
able to add local printers.

Is there some sort of combo that will allow us to do that and not have the
user be able to install other apps like making them apart of the Power Users
group?

Thanks,
-Dan

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> "To install local printer drivers, you must be a member of the Power User or
> Administrator group and have permission to Load and unload device drivers."
>
> So you added then to Administrators group (local) or Power Users?
>
> Lots of discussion on this topic. See:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22local+printer%22+grayed
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I looked at this link and made the changes to the local users group. Then
> > added Domain users to the local group and wasn't able to get user to add
> > printers?
> >
> > User logs in and does add printer wizard and the local printer option is
> > grayed out?
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Dan
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Installing Local Printers:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdl_pif_nfrr.asp
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Neil Shirley" <neils@nospam.complete-it.co.uk> wrote in message

developer49

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
The procedure outlined by Microsoft works fine when adding a "parallel" printer but not a USB printer. Does anyone have any suggestion of how to allow a power user install a USB printer?

[/b]