Installing HD5670 into ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2

ionosphere

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
OK, I got myself HIS Radeon HD5670 1GB, and when I tried to boot it up, the BIOS test failed. (there is no beep sound) Reset several times yield the same result.

My old card is Radeon X1600XT SILENT, and I am using Enermax 350W. This rig is 4 years now. I do not think power supply is an issue because this machine uses only around 100W. Also, the HD5670 uses only 10-20W at idle and around 50W at peak. My old X1600XT uses about 40W at peak. So I don't think power is an issue.

Another possible issue that I can think of is possibly PCI Express version. The HD5670 is PCI 2.1 Express. But isn't PCI Express backward compatible?

For the BIOS at http://www.asrock.com/MB/download.asp?Model=939NF4G-SATA2&o=BIOS, I see that my BIOS is already latest.

Are there anything else that should be put into account?

Solution
Well, I would be inclined to say your motherboard doesn't support 2.1.

Did you try reseating the card? Could affect it.

You might also have to disable onboard video and/or switch the PCI to be the dedicated video adapater, within BIOS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It's backwards compatible to a point, but some boards weren't designed right, and some cards weren't designed right, I'm sure someone here has a list because I've seen such a list before.

ionosphere

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010

HD5670 doesn't come with any external power connector. Doesn't it draw power from motherboard only as advertised?

Helltech

Distinguished
Well, I would be inclined to say your motherboard doesn't support 2.1.

Did you try reseating the card? Could affect it.

You might also have to disable onboard video and/or switch the PCI to be the dedicated video adapater, within BIOS.

Solution