12v (p4) connector needed for i7?

regeisle

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
I've had an antec sonata for a few years, PSU mounted up top. The door clips broke off, so decided to switch to a antec 300. PSU mounts on the bottom in that, and it seems like all the cables reach (though some barely) except the 4-pin connector, which is way up top of my asus board. Looking at the specs for the PSU on newegg, it list "1 x 12V (P4)". Is this 4-pin only needed for P4's, or is that just when it started to be needed, and still is? I can grab an extension if needed, but wanted to check first before wasting the (few) bucks. Thanks in advance!

The 4 pin 12V connector is the power connector for the CPU, without it your CPU has no power going to it at all so this connector is absolutely necessary. Im not sure why its called P4 but its certainly not for pentium 4s only, all modern systems need it or the 8 pin EPS connector.

Probably just a slang term that stuck because it was added to the ATX spec the same year that the P4 was released.

I think its a pre-build step by step guide,
my gf's old comp had P# on every connector from the psu, so simpleton agency staff can follow instructions :p
connector P1 insert here
connector P2 insert here
etc etc
continue till all applicable connectors are securely fastened, pass unit to next muppet on the line
:p
Moto