Sign in with
Your question

CPU decision

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2011 11:46:49 PM

Hi guys,

Building a computer in the next couple of weeks, just had a quick question about what CPU to get. I've been reading around a lot and seem to get different answers everywhere I go.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
or
-_-19-115-211-_-Product]Intel Core i7-950
or
Intel Core i7 2600

The PC will be built for gaming, though will also be for general use.

Everything I've read has said different things about each CPU compared to the other CPU. Don't really know which one to go after all of it.

Thanks.

More about : cpu decision

a b à CPUs
January 9, 2011 12:13:28 AM

Definitely go for the i7-2600.

If you are an overclocker (or ever want to be, which anyone on the forum would recommend with these new Intel CPUs [i7-2600K/i5-2500K], as they are capable of 5ghz on air cooling) be sure to get the i7-2600K.

Honestly it's overkill for most GPU setups out there, but it's easily the world's strongest CPU for gaming. (the i5-2500k is also great for gaming, as most games don't benefit from Hyper Threading)
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2011 12:20:43 AM

One thing to remember... is that all 3 options you're weighing would result in a very fast system that you would probably have a hard time perceiving a performance difference. For gaming, the GPU would be much more of a factor... and all 3 will scream for general computing.

... but ... you want to get the best machine you can for the money you're spending...
Between the two i7s, assuming comparable pricing (which is what's generally predicted), the 2nd generation chips seem to be faster, so unless the maturity of the chip and chipset is an issue, that would drive me to the 2600.
Between the AMD and Intel, I think the performance edge is going to go they way of the 2600. The 1100T is showing up at Newegg for $270. If you have a Microcenter nearby, its looking like the 2600K will be in that neighborhood (with in-store instant rebate)... so if you can take advantage of that, I'd say Intel. If you can't, then it might be roughly a $100 difference. Motherboard prices might factor in, but that $100 out of a $500-600 cpu/mobo choice is about 20%.... or much less of a 'whole system' slice of the pie. You may see the difference, but $100 in your pocket is something too :) 

If you're an AMD/Intel fan, have power draw concerns, like a certain motherboard, etc.. that all can figure... Again, any way you go... you'll have an excellent system.
m
l
January 11, 2011 10:45:39 AM

Thanks very much for the info guys,

over all I think I might go with the Phenom, mainly because it is still a strong chip, makes the whole rig a fair amount cheaper and I've decided that if I get the 2600K now, it will end up costing me a lot more to upgrade when the new chips come out later this year/early next.

Thanks again, gave me a lot to think about to come to my decision.
m
l
!