Cloning vs drive imaging

ittiandro

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Is it possible to copy ( clone) the content of an entire H.D. directly onto another HD without creating first an image to be recovered?
Sometime ago I had made a Drive Image on one computer and tried to restore it to another computer, by using Paragon and Acronis. It didn't work. People I talked to told me that drive images cannot be restored on a different machine, period. I could do this only if the two computers were exactly identical.
Acronis T.I. has a special add-on feature which is designed to do just this ( according to them) , but it does not work. I thought may be I can solve the problem by cloning and then removing the cloned drive and install it on another computer. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ittiandro

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Whether you clone or take the image, a boot disk in one computer won't work on a computer with different hardware. The drivers needed for that computer will be different. How you restore it does not matter.

Acronis True Image Plus Pack should do it. I don't know how it works. You should download and read its user manual pdf.