Quesiton about adding RAM

15thD

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Currently, I'm running two 2gig DDR3 1333 ram modules to make a total of 4gigs, and I want to upgrade to 8gigs. I'd prefer to get 1 stick of 4gigs so later if I wanted I could add even more memory. My quesiton is: would running two 2gig modules and 1 4gig module stop the memory from running in dual-channel mode? Would it even make much of a difference? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Solution
Mixing is never recommended as it may not work. At the current cheap price of RAM you'd be better off to buy a matched, tested 8 GB. kit. There are numerous brand name 8 GB. DDR3 kits under $60. on Newegg and surely elsewhere.

15thD

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
*Facepalm* I can't believe this never occurred to me. I checked and from what I understand three DIMMs will not allow for a dual channel configuration. If got two more 2gig sticks of a different brand (although still the same type of memory) would it make a difference in the ability to run dual-channel?

beenthere

Distinguished
Mixing is never recommended as it may not work. At the current cheap price of RAM you'd be better off to buy a matched, tested 8 GB. kit. There are numerous brand name 8 GB. DDR3 kits under $60. on Newegg and surely elsewhere.

Solution

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
ocz stop making ram, but if you are getting value ram then go with kingston or crucial, or mushkin. mushkin has legendary customer service. g-skill is good also, they have awesome performance memory, and the new patriot gaming memory is pretty good too.

but yeah its best to get like a dual channel kit that has the same speed, timing and voltage as the other ram in your pc.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I went with a quad channel kit that had 4 matched modules and filled all 4 of my dual channel Dimms.

It worked very well.

I never mix ram. The new build and the previous two had Gskills and my last 4 computers prior to that had Kingston Hyper X with the coolers that were solid for their day during gaming. I did order one machine with generic ram once. They burned up without coolers within a few months. But hey what did I know back then?

Now I run memory fans in addition to ram coolers on my sticks so that the RAM will have a good long life.