Hard Drives and SATA Cable Quality

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Cable
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 22, 2013 4:33:00 PM

Hi guys, simple question from a newbie. I have a standard 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s which is being rated as a 5.9 on the WEI, and I was wondering can a quality SATA cable make the Hard Drive noticeably or even considerably faster? If so, which ones do you guys recommend?

More about : hard drives sata cable quality

a c 336 G Storage
January 22, 2013 5:22:36 PM

A bad cable will probably show up in your SMART report with UDMA CRC Errors, Command Timeouts, SATA Downshifts.

Current 2TB drives are achieving 210MB/s transfer rates, so a 3Gbps link rate is more than adequate.
m
l

Best solution

January 23, 2013 12:01:30 AM

The cable won't make much of a speed difference. A bad quality cable generally shows up more as causing errors or even causing the drive to intermittently disappear rather than any sort of performance difference.

Here is an article we wrote a while back that you might be interest in looking at the speed difference between cables: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-cables-I... It's geared more at the difference between SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s cables, but applies pretty well to your situation as well.
Related resources
a c 970 G Storage
January 23, 2013 1:48:23 AM

intermittantly disappear is right.. I ran into my first case of this... just last week. LOL
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:13:19 AM

PS-Matt said:
The cable won't make much of a speed difference. A bad quality cable generally shows up more as causing errors or even causing the drive to intermittently disappear rather than any sort of performance difference.

Here is an article we wrote a while back that you might be interest in looking at the speed difference between cables: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-cables-I... It's geared more at the difference between SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s cables, but applies pretty well to your situation as well.

Yeah looks like it makes no difference. I was just reading some reviews for certain cables and people were saying that it increased their WEI score when they simply updated the cable and I just wanted to see if there was any truth to that.
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:13:56 AM

Best answer selected by madaz.
m
l
!