WTB. Hand-held with built-in-modem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 7:43:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.pen,comp.sys.laptops,misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.portables (More info?)

Hi,

I want to buy a 'pocketable' [hand held computer] from which I can
send and receive email, where there is no electricity supply plug.

The Philips Velo apparently had a buitin modem, but is discontimued.

Any other type with a builtin modem, which can also connect
to a desktop would be OK.

What currently available types can do what I need ?

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 11:37:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.pen,comp.sys.laptops,misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.portables (More info?)

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 12:43:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.pen,comp.sys.laptops,misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.portables (More info?)

In message <opydnQQ--dPbwX_cRVn-qg@is.co.za> - not@top-postMon, 10 Jan 2005
04:43:18 -0600 writes:
:>
:>Hi,
:>
:>I want to buy a 'pocketable' [hand held computer] from which I can
:>send and receive email, where there is no electricity supply plug.
:>
:>The Philips Velo apparently had a buitin modem, but is discontimued.
:>
:>Any other type with a builtin modem, which can also connect
:>to a desktop would be OK.
:>
:>What currently available types can do what I need ?
:>

If you go to Ebay, you can find a NIB Datarover for $35, or maybe even less.
One of these would fit the bill:

-Built in Modem
-Send/receive email
-Send/receive fax
-General PDA functionality - address book, calendar, etc etc
-Speakerphone
-excellent battery life
-Available (basic) web browser, irc client, some games
-fits in (big) pocket
-Runs the fabled user-friendly (maybe too friendly) Magic Cap 3.0 OS -
the version with all the problems fixed.

On the down side:

-no support ('cept via other diehard users)

Price is right, though, and it's what I use for the same functionality.

-Derek

| Derek J Decker derek@decker.net Decker Automation |
| |
| http://DeckerAutomation.myiglou.com |
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 3:20:07 AM

not@top-post wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to buy a 'pocketable' [hand held computer] from which I can
> send and receive email, where there is no electricity supply plug.
>
> The Philips Velo apparently had a buitin modem, but is discontimued.
>
> Any other type with a builtin modem, which can also connect
> to a desktop would be OK.
>
> What currently available types can do what I need ?

Are you looking for a computer or a PDA? Makes a huge difference in cost.
If the only functionality you need is email then there are numerous cell
phones that have this capability, they don't even need a modem. If you're
looking for a PDA, again there are PDA phones or most PocketPCs can take a
CF modem. Moving beyond that if you like Linux a Sharp Zaurus might be a
viable option. If you need a real pocketable computer then you're getting
into things like the Sony U series, which are not generally available on
the US market, although there are businesses which import them from Japan
and install US software on them--those machines though don't have a US
warranty--the resellers generally include an agreement to pay the FedEx
both ways to send it back to Japan for warranty repairs. Again a CF modem
has to be added. And they are not cheap.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

not@top-post wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to buy a 'pocketable' [hand held computer] from which I can
> send and receive email, where there is no electricity supply plug.
>
> The Philips Velo apparently had a buitin modem, but is discontimued.
>
> Any other type with a builtin modem, which can also connect
> to a desktop would be OK.
>
> What currently available types can do what I need ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> == Chris Glur.

HP Jornada 690 has modem and a keyboard that's almost big enough to type
on. And old enough to be relatively cheap.

I've had a couple of Velo 1s. The display contrast is so bad that you
get eye strain quickly. And not much SW will run on 'em.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html